Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 OK-Dumb Question-Hogs >

OK-Dumb Question-Hogs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK-Dumb Question-Hogs

Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default OK-Dumb Question-Hogs

Gosh! I wish we had them - well actually as much as I have heard about what a pest they are maybe I don't..

Question? for those of you that are hog hunters how would a 45-70, whether it be the old 70 grain45-70 or even the modern 45-70. Would/Will the 45-70 take down a good sized hog?Would/Will a 45-70 penetrate the "shield" in a normal hunting situation?

I know at 60 yards I can bust the heck out of an elk shoulder, pass through the vitals and break through a rib on the other side and out of the animal to end up somewhere in the wild blue-yonder with a 300 grain .458 Nosler Partition. Would that be enough to penetrate the shield if that was the only shot presented?

Gosh! so many things I do not know and there is so little time to find it out.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OK-Dumb Question-Hogs

It will do the job very well,I have a friend that backs me up with one when I am bow hunting them. Sometimes it kinda makes themmad when you stick an arrow in them. Lee
Old 01-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to say yes it would penetrate. But how deep? I don't know, how far will that hog run? Take that gun and shoot him in the head or neck and just drop him if you have a clean broadside shot.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

On domestic hogs when it was time to butcher we normally shot them just above a spotbetween the eyes on their forehead at very close range. Even a little .22 caliber would knock them down. Now understand they were often times far from dead, more so stunned. Then we'd jump the fence and stick them with a big long knife in the juglar vein to bleed them out.

I shot one with a .54 caliber roundball in the same spot and that did kill the animal very well. One other that my friend ended up shooting was a mean old sow that could escape from any fence. She'd run the pasture and like all hogs chase her towards the buildings and she'd run the other way. Also she would only put up with being chased for a short time, then she'd turn on you. He was a large heavy man and he finally got sick of chasing her, so he got the 7mm mag out and let her have it.

This wild hog information is sure good to know. I do intend to hunt them once I solve a problem with an old dog here at home. I just can bring myself to solving the problem is all. But after that, I am going to book ahunt somewhere or huntthem. I want to use a flintlock in .54 caliber or a .58 caliber with a roundball. I think that would still be plenty of horse power placed in the right spot. You'd just have to be a little more selective with the shot placement, and personally hunting from trees is nice. Last I knew hogs can not climb a treelike a bear can... that's another story.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:52 AM

My limited experience with hog hunting involved the use of a .243 with 100 gr. Nosler Partitions. It was a miserable deal. From talking with the ranch owner later, he indicated big bullets were very effective - although his personal hog gun was a .223, and he only took head shots with FMJ bullets. I have wanted since to try it again with a muzzleloader. I'm sure the .45-70 would be equally effective.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

Lee, I posed that question because theelk load I shoot from my inlines is a .458 Nosler Protected Point over 100 grains of t7-2f loose. i consider this to be a stout load, of course I could increase the powder charge even further but have not found it necessary.

I am not sure of the old 45-70 bp ballistics and I know the new ones, the modern 45-70 is quite hot.

With this particular ML load I am shooting the average MV is 1750 with MFPE 2040. @ 100 Vel. 1463 FPE 1426.Iknow I am stuck on the Nosler but I am really confident in theirability to penetrate - it does not blow up.

Ok what is the consencious will this load do the job on a hog?

Old 01-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say yes!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hey sabot,

How's it going? All the hogs I have shoot I waited for the ear shot, puts them down everytime. All was using a .270. Seems i read on here where some one else likes that shot too. We also hunt them with dogs sometimes. That's FUN! Was out with some guys one time and they use dogs and catch them alive to sell. No guns! That was wild. Udes to hunt with my uncle too using dogs and we rode his mules. Some great memories.

Forgotto tell you nice hat in the one picture! Afraid to ask what you bet on and lost! [:@]

Getting out to the range tomorrow. Hopefully will have a report Monday.

Old 01-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader, My friend hugh fills the case with black FF and he took out both frount shoulders on a 300 pounder and put him down on his nose. He uses a 400gr cast and sized bullet he makes himself. Lee
Old 01-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

cur_dog

"The Hat" - long story made short - I am a Dodger fan and instead of betting on them with my head I sometimes get carried away and bet with my heart. Well two years ago I bet the Giants would not sweep the Dodgers and they would not have if Barry Bonds had not gone off on a wild hitting spree - I wouldn't have pitched to him - dang...

the 270 is a GREAT cartridge - in the hands of the right person it can do anything...

Quick Reply: OK-Dumb Question-Hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.