Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Max. Load?

Old 01-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Spike

Default Max. Load?

While browsing the net, I found something that I find odd and am wondering if anyone has any idea's on this.

I just bought a Cabela's "sporterized" hawkens and it shows a Max. RB load of 100gr. of 2f(.54)

I went to the Lyman site and they rate all their 54's to 120 gr. of 2F. If they are indeed both made by Investarms, then why the rating difference.

Any thoughts??? Thanks

I'm getting farther into his blackpowder thing than I thought I would. While at the range the other day, I was talking to a fellow about finding a gun for my 9 year old to shoot. The fellow ups and gives me a .50 CVA St. Louis Hawkens!!! Said he got it for nothing in a trade and was wasting away in his closet, felt my boy would get more use out of it than he would. The boy was grinning like a possum in a presimmon tree when I told him it was HIS gun, of course Dad will have to do a little playing with it himself,hehe.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Max. Load?

I'm not familiar with that particular gun, but my very first thought is to follow the mfgr. recommendations - at least until you can find out a whole lot more about it (and I suspect you'll find it here).
That's great what that fellow did for your son - and for all of us. There's nothing like that attitude of helping someone else (especially a youngster) to get involved in the shooting sports to make a lifelong impression. That kind of stuff is contagious, too.
Have fun, and feel free to ask lots of questions.

IM jaybe
Old 01-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

center12

The simple answer is liability. It is better to be safe than liable

If you check the hodgdon site theysay flat out 100 grain loads are max. anything above that they have no liability.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I think Sabotloader hit the answer right on the head. A lot of the companies are doing this for liability reasons. If they limit the powder charge and projectile weight to safe levels, should an accident occur, they have something to fall back on. This is the results of the new life style we see and read about in the papers of find something to file a law suit about.

With my Lyman Trade Rifle, I got a manual from Lymans and one from Investarms. Same rifle, same gun maker, totally differentpowderlevels. Personally I think you will find that around 90-100 grains of Goex 2f or Pyrodex RS will be you best load. At least in my rifle that is where it fell right into place. 90 grains. I would not be afraid to push the rifle to 120 grains of RS or 2f but see no need to.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Spike

Makes since to me, thanks for the info.

Went out and shoot that 50 today, nice little gun. Didn't do any paper shooting, just making sure everything was on the up and up for the boy. The gun is really sort of pretty, it looks like it has a Spaulded(?) Maple stock. Used 30gr. of 2f Goex and a PRB, lots of fun. The squirrel were in hiding,hehe.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting my .62 caliber smoothbore today with a 324 grain roundball on top of 80 grains of Goex 2f. I had a pine squirrel make the mistake of coming out into the woods also. Well I hit him dead center with a free standing shot at about 20 yards. Needless to say there was not much for the dog to pick up.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Spike

Probably didn't even have stew makins left, what a pity. Heard they make smaller calibers for such things,snicker!!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:37 AM

Cayugad, was that the manufacturers recommended load for Pine Squirrel? Just curious...LOL
Old 01-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of them squirrelis plain mad-dog killers though, use enough gun!

Any of you guys seen the type offox squirrelthey've got down in SC? I don't think they are particularly dangerous but they've got a real sense of humor about scarin' ell out of ya.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Omegalover

Cayugad, was that the manufacturers recommended load for Pine Squirrel? Just curious...LOL
Next time I will get the .75 caliber Brown Bess out .. this one was tuff he only exploded into two pieces. I would have expected at least three. And Underclocked these squirrelsmust be related to your breed of squirrels. I have had them suddenly appear in a tree stand and about make you mess your pants.

In fact I told a guy hunting my land last year to be sure and wear his safety harness. He told me he was not worried about falling and I told him the harness was to catch him when the pine squirrels scared he bad enough to make him jump out of the tree. When they suddenly scurry around the tree right behind you, I have to admit, it spooks me too...

Quick Reply: Max. Load?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.