Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone Watched Jim Shockey Lately? >

Anyone Watched Jim Shockey Lately?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone Watched Jim Shockey Lately?

Old 01-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone Watched Jim Shockey Lately?

tanktrunk: I don't think anyone's running down the Encore; I wish I could have afforded one instead ofone of the cheaper imitations. And I believe that with a very few exceptions, ALL of our rifles (and guns) shoot where we aim them. The point is that some TV guys probably don't want to admit that they sometimes don't aim right, or they fail to take some variable into consideration (wind, distance, etc), and therefore miss.
I think on the whole, most of the TV guys (bow and gun) do pretty well at showing clean misses from time to time; what they probably don't show are the bad hits .

IM jaybe
Old 01-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Amazing to me that someone would make a decision about a muzzleloader based on a hunting TV program.

These show hosts are nothing but paid shills. This guyShockley (or whateverhis name is)would just as soon use CVAs or TraditionsMLs (or pop guns or BB guns or water guns) ifhe got more $$$ for it.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

You're right, mouthcaller, but we live in an advertisment-rich (or poor) society, and that's the name of the game these days. Just to make the point, I just heard that the film, "Brokeback Mountain" cost 15 Million to make, and they spent another 15 Million to advertise it! I suspect pretty much the same is true for most of the products that we see advertised on TV. If you don't advertise your product these days, you wait a long time for the news to spread by word of mouth.
One of the great things about this and other forums is that we can get the honest opinion of other people who have actually used them in all kinds of conditions - and have a pretty good idea of what we're getting before we get prejudiced just because we fell for the promo's.

IM jaybe

Old 01-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thye Outdoor Channel has really gone down the tubes lately,could call
it the Outdoor Fishing Channel now,Paintball,whatever![:@]
Old 01-20-2006, 01:57 AM

Im not running down the Encore muzzleloader, I was just finding some humor in Jim Shockeys recent hunting shows. I have 2 TCs and love them. I also have a Knight disc elite .50, MDM quicshooter .50, CVA firebolt .45, CVA Kodiak magnum .45, and I am looking to get one of the new Knight revolution II since the prices are cheaper now. Cabelas is throwing a nice knife with a purchase. I didnt mean to offen Encore users.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Awl, AmericanPioneer, after reading this post I got scared and took back my Encore and I'm now looking for something else!

Just Kidding, I love my Encore and wouldn't trade it for anything, I don't care who misses with it, it still puts meat on my table and clover leafs on paper. LOLI know you weren't knocking TC's.

**********A man has to have a sense of humor!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

AmericanPioner said:

"He had better practice more with it or use his Knight for the kill shots and edit in himself holding the Encore in the video before and after the shot to please Thompson Center. I enjoy the shows but its not making me a believer in the Encore muzzleloader. I have an Encore rifle in .375 H&H and love it but I dont plan on buying a muzzleloading barrel for it"

Then he said:

"Im not running down the Encore muzzleloader"

Sounds like it to me

Old 01-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing against Jim Shockey or any other sponsor-driven outdoorsman, but I have never paid any attention to those that are being paid to promote products either by direct financial compensation or through the compensation of product endorsement.

I don't place any value whatsoever in information fromsomeone being compensated to provide the information. Or in other words, marketing fluff. Lacks credibility in my view.

I would rather hear from the average sportsman that is investing his/her hard earned money and time.

I know Thompson/Center is a fine company and their products are excellent as is Knight's.

Frankly I agree with one of the statements,that any highest-bidder manufacturer would have been awarded Shockey's sponsor of choice for 2006. Could have been Acme Muzzleloader Inc. and their "Wyle E. Coyote" muzzleloader that could have been Shockey's 2006 sponsor had they paid enough.

All this said, I would certainly love to have Mr. Shockey's endorsement deals and moreover his hunting opportunities. He is a very successful outfitter and guide.

m2c,

Tahquamenon
Old 01-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Money or sales, does drive the market of advertisement, and he who can pay the most can scream the loudest. As for Shocky missing, remember people he is shooting a muzzleloader. Sometimes on the range the projectile seated harder then ever before and you get a flyer, sometimes the powder goes bad during a day of hunting and things just don't go bang like they should. Well these guys shoot and hunt a lot more then the average person. If anyone should have something happen that effects their accuracy, these are the people that it will happen to. It has nothing to do with the rifle for the most part.

But I agree, had CVA or some other company paid big bucks, you might see Jim hunting with a Optima or Kodiak.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:35 AM

A quote from Jim Shockeys website news.

Comments: Hi Jim - Long time fan. Just wondering if you have switched over from Knight to Thompson Center? I saw an American Pioneer Products ad and you were holding a T/C - jut curious.*******TOM GLAD YOU’RE A LONG TIME FAN, I APPRECIATE THAT. AS FAR AS SWITCHING OVER YES I HAVE. FOR YEARS I SHOT TONY KNIGHTS DESIGNED MK85 AND TONY’S DISC RIFLE. THE NEWER KNIGHTS WERE NOT DESIGNED BY TONY AND I TRIED USING ONE FOR A YEAR AND HAVE DECIDED TO SWITCH OVER TO THE THOMPSON CENTER LINE OF MUZZLELOADERS. USING THE ENCORE I’VE HAD ONE OF THE BEST STRINGS OF ONE SHOT KILLS I’VE HAD IN YEARS SO I’M VERY HAPPY WITH THE CHANGE. I’M A HUNTER AND ITS MY OPINION I SHOULD USE THE BEST PRODUCT AVAILABLE TO DO MY JOB ETHICALLY AND AS CONSISTANTLY AS POSSIBLE AND THAT’S WHY I’VE SWITCHED OVER.

Quick Reply: Anyone Watched Jim Shockey Lately?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.