Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Will PA ever change? >

Will PA ever change?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will PA ever change?

Old 10-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to laugh at today's "necessary" gear. Fifty + years ago when I started hunting your gear consisted of your rifle, ammo, knife, drag rope, and apple & sandwich stuffed in your coat pocket and a canteen of water (sometimes).
Old 10-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I have to laugh at today's "necessary" gear. Fifty + years ago when I started hunting your gear consisted of your rifle, ammo, knife, drag rope, and apple & sandwich stuffed in your coat pocket and a canteen of water (sometimes).

Ya! I really fondly remember those day but today as old as I am I do not want to make any unnecessary trips in and out so I now carry a 25 lb. back pack the 'necessary things' - GOSH I wish I were young and dumb again!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the '50's as a kid, we had bragging rights if we even spotted a deer in the woods!!! Never sat in a deer tree stand till I started hunting in Virginia.

I believe in a primitive season. More so as a novelty and a way of difficulty! I would love to see my state have one in the late season.

We tend to get in pi$$ing contests on equipment, like long bows vs. compound bows vs. crossbows... Flintlocks vs. perc. vs. inlines... I personally get tired of this line of feldergarb and useless arguments!! I think an open season should start and what you use to hunt with is up to you!!!!!

Remembering that this is all IMHO!!!!!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

RAFSOB - I see you changed your pic. Better than the old one for sure.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:28 PM
Banned

Camo clothing imo is one that is way over rated. Then you have all the scent sprays,covers and special $300 jackets full of charcoal to keep your scent down.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=52bore;4277808]Flintlock only: ...... I actually wish more states would have a 'primitive' style (Flint or Perc) during the peak fall colors, even for just 1 weekend - seems the idea time for those who wish to go back in time.............
QUOTE]

I'd like to ask, what's keeping you or anyone else wishing "to go back in time..."? Isn't that possible right now? What would keep anyone from hunting with a flintlock now (within the hunting seasons)?

It all goes back to the "Great Divide" and "like minded"....
Old 10-25-2016, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

we do a LOT of things backwards here in PA when it comes to hunting. I'd probably get into muzzleloader hunting if they allowed inline guns in the late season. Yes, I think flintlocks are cool and fun to shoot, just can't get excited about hunting with one.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The reason PA is last to change

Every state is controlled by how many deer they have and how many hunters are buying licenses.
Pa has the most hunters; thus it has to control things a little tighter than other states. It has a fine system of public hunting lands, State Game lands, State forests, and a National park in the western part of the state. Most unexplored by those who would get lost. The batteries die on the gps and they aare dead meat.
Back in the 70's Pa went from one deer per hunter to one deer per season with the addition of a late season flintlock muzzleloading season. With so many hunters, Pa had to go easy.

Now its any kind of single shot muzzleloading rifle including kinds never invented before, plus the single shot bows and single shot crossbows that look more like modern military firearms.
And still hunters are looking for semi-auto firearms; a hunter needs all the advantage he can get.

That's the thing. Get the newbies and the inaccurate to a place where they too can harvest a deer. Its forbidden I guess not to harvest a deer. Besides the hefty are adding weight every year.

Last edited by Valentine; 10-25-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
RAFSOB - I see you changed your pic. Better than the old one for sure.
Change is good at times. I love my times in the woods.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
we do a LOT of things backwards here in PA when it comes to hunting. I'd probably get into muzzleloader hunting if they allowed inline guns in the late season. Yes, I think flintlocks are cool and fun to shoot, just can't get excited about hunting with one.
You want to hunt with an in-line in PA? Go ahead. Nothing is stopping you from using one during the regular rifle season.

Quick Reply: Will PA ever change?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.