Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
muzzeloading in rain...need some advice, please? >

muzzeloading in rain...need some advice, please?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzeloading in rain...need some advice, please?

Old 10-16-2002, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default muzzeloading in rain...need some advice, please?

I've been muzzeloading for 5 years now and in that time I've only had to hunt in the rain once, but rain is predicted for opening day this season. The year it rained on me, when I got back to camp I decided to see if my gun would fire, but when I pulled the trigger I got nothing. When I checked the cap it was smashed and the powder inside was no longer powder, but wet and mushy instead. I replaced the cap and tried again and the gun fired, so I know my powder was dry..the problem was the cap. I have a Remington 700 ML, which has a bolt and weather shield. On top of that I took extreme precautions to keep water out all day...I think the problem was humidity. Here is my question: Does anybody have any new tricks that have worked for you to keep your caps dry? I dont want to leave it off and be forced to try to put one on when I have a deer approaching...besides that, without a cap I think my powder could get wet throught the nipple. Help?
Old 10-16-2002, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: muzzeloading in rain...need some advice, please?

I have no in-line. I use a sidelock, and the trick I have used for years is to cover the cap with a piece of Handi Wrap. Enough to cover the cap and nipple, and let it cling around the base of that real good. The gun has always fired the cap with the plastic on. I also cover the end of the barrel with the plastic wrap, and then hold it in place with a small rubber band. Once I am out to the stand, I keep the cap area dry by setting some waterproof leather over that area, and if I have sat there for more then 4 hours, I replace the cap with a fresh one. So far, so good... It has always went off. I am not sure how you could apply this to an in-line unless you wrap the cap area... perhaps you can figure it out... Good luck hunting...
Old 10-17-2002, 05:53 AM

I use a side-lock too and what I do is seal the cap to the nipple with nail polish, also I seal the nipple threads the same way.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Hey...those are some great ideas I can use. I think the nail polish thing may do the trick for me. I can seal the cap to the nipple before I screw it into the breech plug. Thanks!!
Old 10-17-2002, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wrap the breech section with plastic wrap. You can also drip hot candle wax on the capped nipple to seal in around the edges.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-17-2002, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you seal the cap with fingernail polish before you screw the nipple into the breech plug, make sure all excess gun oil is out of the breech plug and nipple first. The saran wrap on the end of the barrel is a good idea. I have a Knight. Last year I sat in a pretty good rain for 1 1/2 hours before I shot a doe that came along. I just had the cap on the nipple and covered the end of the barel. You might carry along a piece of plastic to drape over the breech plug area to direct water away while you are sitting in the tree stand. Have fun.

Old 10-19-2002, 08:11 AM

I also have been using the cling rap on my side lock for about 25 years and had good luck with it. I seal the cap with a rubber band also if it is real humid I will do the same thing On those rainy days of hunting I usually will unload my gun when leaving the woods then clean it good and oil it before reloading. One thing I also do is fire a couple of caps through it before reloading. Out of all the years I have only had a time or two that it did not fire when I needed.Practice and Be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are little red rubber band type things made specifically for sealing out the rain on a standard nipple and cap. Basically you put the cap on and then slide the ring over the cap and nipple and it keeps the water out. On the muzzle try electric tape stuck right on the barrel, a little more convienent than plastic wrap.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:53 PM

All those sound like good ideas, but how about a flintlock?
Old 10-26-2002, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

On a flintlock, I seal around the edge of the pan with a thin bead of candle wax or beeswax, wrap the plastic wrap around the lock section, then seal the muzzle with plastic wrap or electrician's tape, just like a caplock.

Keep yore powder dry!!

Quick Reply: muzzeloading in rain...need some advice, please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.