Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Red Dot Sight

Old 01-08-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Red Dot Sight

Anyone familiar with these sights? I take it from looking
at them online, there is little if any magnification? Also
anybody have any info from actual expierence with
these sights? My old 59 yr. old eyes need help..LOL
But most of my shots come at the 25-75yard range.
Some places are pretty thick in the fence-rows. So
I don't need a lot of power on a scope. I was thinking
this might work very well for my new Omega. I think
I've found the answer to my question. I see that
Tru-Glo offers a red dot with 40mm tube and 2x
power, from all the reviews I've read this one has
some good reports. As soon as my wifelets me spend
some more money I think I'll pick one of these up.
Again thanks for all the help and information.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Red Dot Sight

I use a Bushnell Trophy RED DOT with the four different rectules and eleven brightness settings. Almost 99% of the time I use the 3 MOA dot. At 50 yards and under the thing is deadly. The further back you get the more limited they become. First because you are looking through a 30mm tube with no magnification. Granted a 3MOA should be all practical reason shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yards, but that is if the rifle were in a vice. I can shoot about a 5 inch group most anytime, at 100 yards with mine.

Also as the light grows dimmer, the visibility through the tube becomes less. Also you need to keep adjusting the brightness setting to match the light of your surrounding area. If the brightness is to much the dot grows a tail. You then have to learn to ignore the tail.

Now remember, my experience is with the Bushnell Trophy RED DOT. I did look at a Winchester 40mm RED DOT after I had purchased the one I use. It was on sale for $69.00 . It has a bigger viewing area so you might be better off with a larger sight picture.

I personally think a good set of fiber optic sights are as good as a RED DOT, although the red dot from a solid rest can shoot some impressive groups at 60 yards and closer....
Old 01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

A word of caution on Red dot sights, some are very good I have one that has a 1.5 dot and it is the best answer for the gun it is on;but I have one laying in a draw that I don't know what to do with to it moves about 3 inches at 25 yards for every click and I can't sight it in accurately enough to even think about using it on Game. A good one is wonderful a bad one is awful. Lee
Old 01-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

AQUATECH

Caygad's descritpion is perfect in my world. Had one used it for awhile took it off and one of my students put it on his paint ball gun. And yet there are people that really like them and they work for them. I prefer the fiber optic - but the v peep that sproulman is talking about might really be a niffty tool for old eyes like yours and mine...
Old 01-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have not seen the vpeep mentioned but back in the 60's and 70's when I was building Hawken rifles I made my own so the peep was on at 100 and the v was on at 150 with a 54 with a 35 inch barrel shooting 120 or 130gr this works very nice.Lee
Old 01-08-2006, 06:07 PM

i used one this year on my encore 209/50 and i am very pleased. it hac quick target pick up and has held accuracy right with the rest of my scopes. thinking of putting one on a encore pistol.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

so far, i like V-PEEP sight.i like idea that you can sight under your target with this sight as top is notched out.its not perfect. i still have problem with rear sight being blurry, but thats my eyes. with the other sights it was a lot worst. another thing i dont like,all muzzleloader front sights are big. i was looking at my peep sight on my 300 sav. the front sight is real fine.thats the secret. i feel front sights on muzzleloaders could be improved and made more lean with fiber optic dot. the dot on the front v-peep is really small but i would have made it smaller too. with our bad eyes as we get older, scope is about all we have to rely on. i think things will get better on open sights. i would like to see those red dot sights get smaller too and maybe they would be thing for us with bad eyes. they are not legal in late flintlock season but i wish they were . question is, will the red dot work on a flintlock? i think they could and if made smaller so they set on barrel real nice looking, i would buy 1 in heartbeat.right now, they are too big , i feel.take care.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm sure the red dot would work on a flint lock as you can set them as far down the barrel as you like. I also have one on a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag revolver and it works just fine.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

sproulman,Have you ever considered
HOLOGRAPHIC sights ? I have much the same problems due to age if I could not use a scope thats the way I would go.
Lee
Old 01-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks folks on info too. i was out hunting last night, just before dark. i was practicing holding gun on stumps and pine cones etc from trees. here is way i feel you have to use the V-PEEP from RMC . i was not happy that the rear sight got blurry trying to line up front. what i did not realize is ,i dont need to concentrate on rear sight. when you see the front dot, which that is all you should be looking at , its IN THE RING of the rear sight its was great after that. i had 2 doe come out about 40 yards and i pulled right up and front sight was there and clear. i forgot all about rear sight. if you aim like this, that V-PEEP is great.i shot peep sights all my life until i went to scope and i never looked at rear ring on deer.why i forgot that on this V-PEEP, I dont know.take care.also i like the green fiber optic over red one on front sight of the V-PEEP.

Quick Reply: Red Dot Sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.