Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oil for barrel??

Old 01-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Oil for barrel??

I was lucky enough to receive a new omega SS this x-mas.

When I clean this puppy, can I use the same oil that I use on my centerfire rifles to protect the barrel or is there something special made just for BP guns that is easy to wipe out before loading.

Thanks

[/align]
Old 01-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oil for barrel??

I can't think of the exact name at the moment...but I use a product from T/C. I think it's called Bore Butter 1000 or something very close. Whatever its called, it isn't oil based so it will not turn into a tar like substance when super-heated by the shot. It makes cleaning very easy.

I wouldn't recommend using an oil based product because like stated above, when it is super-heated, the oil turns into a tar like substance that ishard to get out of the barrel.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Use a quality gun oil in your rifle, leave the bore butter for conical bullet lube. This idea of seasoning a modern muzzleloader is not necessary in my opinion. Clean the barrel back to metal every time your done shooting. Apply a quality gun oil like REM Oil with teflon of Birchwood Casey Sheath, Breakfree CLP, or some such. Before you shoot the next time take a patch and dampen it with isopropyl or denatured alcohol and swab the oil out of the barrel. Then a dry patch. Pop three 209 primers and load as normal. You will not have any problems.

Also when shooting sabots, never apply a lube to them. If they fit too tight, change sabots. I know there are people out there that grease their sabots. Fine, if that's what they want to do, who am I or anyone else to tell them not to. I just found the best accuracy comes with a moderate tight fitting sabot and moderate powder charge.

Thompson Center recommends the use of Bore Butter. Strange they market the stuff also. Just like CVA promotes the shooting of Powerbelts. I wonder what their take on those sales are?

That's a great rifle you got there. After you make sure and clean the devil out of it and apply anti seize to the breech plug threads, try shooting 100 grain of T-7 and a 200 or 250 grain shockwave out of it. See how that does for you. If it is a good accurate load that will be about all the juice you would need for most of your shooting.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Digi

If you are using a high quality bore oil in your centerfires you can use that in your ML also, UNLESS you are shooting real BP. Real BP and oil don't really mix well although it can be done.

To remove the oil in the bore before shooting simple run a couple of alcohol dampened patches down the barrel. This will remove themajority of the oil.

Shooting sabots or even PowerBelts if you choose to go that way you really want a clean bore - sabots are self lubricating.

The biggest thing really is cleaning the bore after shooting and setting the gun for storage, again depending on the type of powder you are using yourcleaning regime will become very important... Some will disagree but there is place for natural lubes in the cleaning routine but not for lubrication, for the reduction of fouling. All of this you will find your way on make a decision and it will become your routine

Good luck - any questions keep asking them.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I didn't occasionally lube my own bullets using a small percentage of Bore Butter/Wonderlube 1000 in the lube mix, I would throw that tube in the garbage. Lately, I've been using my remaining Rem-Oil for lubing garage door tracks,vehicle doorhinges & driveway gates. Use the Breakfree CLP forrifle actions, ML sidehammer locks, synthetic stocks... etc- but for the inside ofmy bores of all my rifles,the only rust preventerI use nowadays is Birchwood Casey Sheath.