Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what accesories do you need with a flintlock? >

what accesories do you need with a flintlock?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what accesories do you need with a flintlock?

Old 12-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default what accesories do you need with a flintlock?

I want to get a new traditions kentucky rifle flintlock and im new to muzzleloading so i was wondering what i will need to get with the rifle so i will be able to shoot it.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what accesories do you need with a flintlock?

Many of the Kentucky model do not have a hooked breech and are not removable. So you will need a flush tube to clean the rifle properly. I also like to replace the vent liners right away with a stainless steel model with the hex head. And a vent pick which I put through the vent liner when first dumping the powder and setting the ball. After that I remove it and primer the pan. You will also need a pan primer flask. This small flask will put just the right amount of powder in the pan for you. As for knapping the flint, many people waste their money and get a knapping hammer. I did. I have yet to use it, but I got one. The pan brush is kind of helpful for sweeping out the base of the pan. Also some patches and alcohol to wipe the pan, frizzen, and flint off. A frizzen cover is nice too. I have yet to buy a cow knee, but I made one out of an old chunk of tarp and it seems to work good. Also you might as well get some flints or agates. You will go through a lot of them in the begining. I bought 100 of them when I started out because I got a better deal on them. I get them through October Country Muzzleloading..http://www.octobercountry.com/ I am sure I forgot a lot of the stuff.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ill start....sure ill miss a few things...

-REAL BLACK powder(goex) 2fg to load..4fg to prime...only way to go
-projectiles of your choice..patch n balls are cheap and shotgood in most flintlocks with a traditional slow twist
-ball starter
-powder measurer(i like TCs U-view..clearso you can see the powder)
-powderflask(i like the TC u-view again)
-pan charger(wish they made a clear one of them..but i couldnt find one)
-cleaning jag..to clean with
-ball puller..to pull a ball when you forget the powder or to unload w/o firing
-patch puller..to retrieve patches that may slipped off
-touchhole pick..to clean the touchhole out
-cleaning patches...soak them in 91% rubbing alcohol and it cleans well..

stuff you might want later...not essential to start shooting though
-extra flints and some spare leather is good to have
-i carry a few rubber charge tubes to carry my premeasured charges so im not measuring in the woods on a reload
...possiblesbag to carry it all while hunting

theres alot of gear to go along with flintlocking....some needed all the time...some are nice to have but not needed...im sure i forgot some stuff....and other guys can add more for you...but that should get you started....but once you have it all shootinga flintlock is cheap...pound of powder for15 bucks or so...roundballs and patches are around 15bucks for 100.....so thats roughly 30bucks for 100shots or so......pretty cheap when i pay about that for 20rds of 3006 ammo......good luck....welcome to the addicting sport and art of hunting and shooting a flintlock....dont be afraid to ask questions here......alot of good guys here...."cayugad" is a great guy and knows ALOT....he taught me most everything i know..im willing to pass it on..as he will probably post a book like i did also...and a bunch of other great guys...also...id call Thompson Center and ask them for a manual...just say its for a TC 50cal hawken flintlock.....their manual is excellent if you ask me....step by step...saftey...procedures.....everything you need to know....and they send them QUICK....

Old 12-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Many of the Kentucky model do not have a hooked breech and are not removable. So you will need a flush tube to clean the rifle properly. I also like to replace the vent liners right away with a stainless steel model with the hex head. And a vent pick which I put through the vent liner when first dumping the powder and setting the ball. After that I remove it and primer the pan. You will also need a pan primer flask. This small flask will put just the right amount of powder in the pan for you. As for knapping the flint, many people waste their money and get a knapping hammer. I did. I have yet to use it, but I got one. The pan brush is kind of helpful for sweeping out the base of the pan. Also some patches and alcohol to wipe the pan, frizzen, and flint off. A frizzen cover is nice too. I have yet to buy a cow knee, but I made one out of an old chunk of tarp and it seems to work good. Also you might as well get some flints or agates. You will go through a lot of them in the begining. I bought 100 of them when I started out because I got a better deal on them. I get them through October Country Muzzleloading..http://www.octobercountry.com/ I am sure I forgot a lot of the stuff.
Fort Chambers (www.fortchambers.com )
makes a pan priming "horn" that hold your priming powder and has a vent pick in the plug shaft and a pan brush comes with it also. I believe OCTOBER COUNTRY still sells these "Ft. Chambers" priming flasks as well.

I believe cayugad has pretty much listed everything that isdifferent for shooting a flinter....
Old 12-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find that having some cloths and alcohol handy is essential. I wipe
the flint and frizzen after every shot with pure alcohol. Don't use diluted 50/50 swabbing mixture.
Removing the powder fouling from these areas is essential.
Makes ignition very dependable.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info but another question i have is how much of a powder charge can these guns handle, i know in my cva optima i shoot 150 grains of triple 7 but i dont guess they will handle near that much will they?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Many of the traditional type flintlocks will handle up to 110 grains of 2f and 90 grains of 3f in a .50 caliber and it jumps to 120 grains of 2f and 100 grains of 3f in a .54 caliber. This could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but those are the general guidelines. Some of these values will also vary according to the kind of projectile you use. Those listed are for roundball.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

alright thanks, earlier you said that this does not have a hooked breech so u mean the barrel will not come off of this gun right? i would kind of like one that will be easier cleaning, i was thinking of either the kentucky model or the hawkens model they are both around 300 dollars but the hawken is shorter, and has a hooked breech, and it has double triggers. which one would you go with for deer hunting?
Old 12-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 30-06lover

alright thanks, earlier you said that this does not have a hooked breech so u mean the barrel will not come off of this gun right? i would kind of like one that will be easier cleaning, i was thinking of either the kentucky model or the hawkens model they are both around 300 dollars but the hawken is shorter, and has a hooked breech, and it has double triggers. which one would you go with for deer hunting?
Many of the Kentucky models or full stock model rifles are pinned. They do not suggest removing the pins unless necessary for repairs. I personally do not own a pinned rifle for that reason. The Hawkins or Trade Rifles are wedged. All you do is drive the wedge out, and the breech then unhooks from the tang. You take just the barrel out of the stock, drop the breech endin a water bath and clean it that way. With the pinned rifles you need a flush kit that hooks to the percussion cap and you clean it that way.

I personally like the Hawkins model with the hooked breech and the double triggers.The shorter barrels do not reallyconcern me. If you want a longer rifle with hooked breech styling then look at a Lyman Great Plain Rifle or Great Plains Hunter. If the double trigger is not that important, there are a lot of hooked breech traditional rifles out there.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Alright i have decided i want to get a traditions hawkens rifle flintlock, but i was looking at it in www.dixiegunworks.com and it said reccomended amount of ffg powder for a ball load is 60 grains and 70 grains for a cylindrical load. Is this all the powder can handle because that sounds a little week, it didnt say it was the maximum but it said reccomended amount?

Quick Reply: what accesories do you need with a flintlock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.