Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Early Christmas Present - New Frontier 50 Cal >

Early Christmas Present - New Frontier 50 Cal

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Early Christmas Present - New Frontier 50 Cal

Old 12-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Spike

Default Early Christmas Present - New Frontier 50 Cal

OK, I met up with my father in law this evening expecting to get ahold ofhis T/C Omega to use for a couple weeks and he hands me a wrapped box.

After I asked to borrow his gun he decided to buy me a BP Rifle for Christmas. He picked up a New Frontier - Cascade Magnum 50Cal.

Any thing change on the earlier advise on how to get started with this gun verses the T/C Omega I was earlier expecting to use.

Thanks in advance.
Keith
Old 12-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Early Christmas Present - New Frontier 50 Cal

just that it being a new rifle clean the devil out of it and be sure and read the manual cover to cover. When you think you understand the rifle read the manual again. Then be sure and work up a load that is good and accurate. With the New Frontier, start at 80 grains of powder and work from there.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Spike

Right out of the box it (New Frontier Bolt Action 50 Cal) is a 4.5" group at 100 yards with open sights. I think I am going to stick with the 240 grain 45 XTP w/ 100grain tripple seven pellets. I was rather impressed with both myself and the gun, being the first time out and the first time I've really done much BP.

Next spring when it warms up Iwill dial it in closer but when it's 10-12 degrees outside that grouping will get me a deer if they are within the 100-135 yard range.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

That kind of group right out of the box in that kind of weather is nothing to sneeze at. And if you stay out to long in that kind of weather you will start sneezing. That is some good shooting there on your part. What did you think of the recoil with two pellets?