Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thompson Center Thunderhawk >

Thompson Center Thunderhawk

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Thunderhawk

Old 12-08-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Thompson Center Thunderhawk

Hi guys i just got one to go muzzleloader hunting with next fall and was wondering what twist of barrel it has, and if anyone else has one what bullets would you recommend,thanks guys i love this site. Danny
Old 12-08-2005, 06:18 PM

Default RE: Thompson Center Thunderhawk

Ps its a .50 cal
Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

gruhotbigracks,
The T/C Thunderhawk has a 1-38" twist barrel.I have had very good results shooting 90gr. charges with 260gr JHP Speers, 300gr. XTP's and the 348gr Power Belt.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Dominant Buck

They have a 24" barrel with a 1-38 twist. Also the breech plug is solid and does not come out as I remember. With that twist they shoot conicals and short sabots. I would try some 460 grain No Excuse Conicals, 460 grain Great Plains Conicals, 380 R.E.A.L.s, even some maxiball would be something to try. They should shoot well if you keep the powder charge between 80-100 grains of powder.

If you want to shoot sabots, try some 240 grain T/C Cheap Shots and see how they shoot. Load them with 85 grains of powder and see what happens..
Old 12-10-2005, 07:55 AM

My friend let me borrow his ThunderHawk that he hasnt used in years.He's on vaction so he said to just grab the gun.Went to the Dicks and the guy helped me out with the stuff i needed.Got some Triple 7 pellets in 50 grain,CCI No.11 primer and some 250 grain sabots.Thinking that i was all set.Went hunting this morning and a 4 pointer came in but the only thing that went off was the primer.Put another primer in but the same thing happened.You guys have any idea whats going on?

Thanks for any help

Artie
Old 12-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Spike

Artie97: My brother had the same problem trying to setup his Thunderhawk with Tripple 7 pellets and # 11 caps. He finally read the instructions on the box of pellets and its states: Not to be used with # 11 caps. He tried some of my loose Tripple 7 fff and it ignited every shot. He wanted to go back to his pyro pellets but talked him into trying loose pyrodex. To make a long story short he was very surprised when he found his guns sweet spot-385 grain Buffalo Ball conicals cutting holes at 100 yards useing 90 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. Another convert to loose powder and I ended up with 2 boxes of pyro and 1 box of Tripple 7 pellets to waste shooting at targets with my Omega. Its a dirty job but somebody has to so it.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: artie97

My friend let me borrow his ThunderHawk that he hasnt used in years.He's on vaction so he said to just grab the gun.Went to the Dicks and the guy helped me out with the stuff i needed.Got some Triple 7 pellets in 50 grain,CCI No.11 primer and some 250 grain sabots.Thinking that i was all set.Went hunting this morning and a 4 pointer came in but the only thing that went off was the primer.Put another primer in but the same thing happened.You guys have any idea whats going on?

Thanks for any help

Artie
I will guess that the #11 were not able to produce enough fire through the nipple and breech design to ignite the pellets. The person at the store should have know better then to recommend pellets to a #11 cap shooter. Had you prepared the breech properly by swabbing the barrel with some alcohol first, then popped three caps through the nipple, run a dry patch through it to make sure it was nice and dry down there, then loaded 100 grains of loose powder, the projectile and then a #11 cap I think your outcome would have been much different.

Go get a pound of the loose Triple Se7en powder and I think if the 4 pointer returns, he could be in serious trouble. Also a word of advise, if you have not shot this load for accuracy, you might want to take a few pot shots to see where they are hitting. Just simply dumping some powder down the barrel and seating a sabot on it is no guarantee that the rifle will hit right where it is aimed. Granted if the distance was close enough, you might be close, but you really need to shoot and see where the rifle is hitting... To shoot loose powder you will need a powder measure and remember, loose Triple Se7en is 15% stronger then Triple Se7en in pellet form.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:45 AM

Try upgrading to a flame thrower nipple and if you can locate some RWS 1075+ plus caps with loose powder you wil never have any problems.I own a 54 cal. thunderhawk with A walnut stock ,been in rain,sleet,snow the gun always fired.I tried 777 powder but the gun favors pyrodex selct or real BP goex3f.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:46 AM

Thank you Cayugad and GeoR for the info.The problem is that i cant the pellets and sabot out.I did take out the nipple and it was rusted shut,i hope thats the problem.Went to the store and got a new onefor $2.99.

You guys think its safe to shoot it with the pellets in?

I'll be getting the loose power and go to the range to try it out.

Thank you guys againfor the great info.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Before you put the new nipple into the end of the breech plug, try to drizzle a few grains of loose powder in the breech and then put the nipple back in. With that kicker powder a cap should fire offthe pellet load for you.

Then switch over to the loose powder. You should have much better luck.

Quick Reply: Thompson Center Thunderhawk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.