Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions ?????

Old 12-08-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Traditions ?????

i just purchased a new Traditions Pursuit Pro, black and nickel. I put a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9-40 scope on it. I was wondering for those who shoot the same muzzleloader what are you getting your best groups with. I plan on using Triple 7. Anyother advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Justin
Old 12-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Traditions ?????

Midwest Guy,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Traditions Pursuit Pro. Thisis a fine looking rifle and I've been tempted a few times to buy one myself. Didn't I see a picture of your new MLposted on another thread on this forum?
I do not have this particular rifle, but if I were you I'd buy an assortment of bullets that they carry at your local sporting goods store and start from there. I'd stay away from the light weights and start with 250gr. bullet/sabot combinations. There are a lot to choose from and that's half the fun.
I save most of my targets and I write down the load information, date, weather conditions, etc.so I can remember what works and what didn't work in that particular rifle.I keep the targetsfiled inhanging file folders for future reference.
You didn't say if you were going to shoot Triple 7 pellets or loose powder.
Remember when shooting loose Triple 7 to reduce your powder charge 10-15%. You don't have to worry about this when shooting T7 pellets.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Spike

Midwest,
good luck with it, i have the same gun and the only Knock i have is the trigger pull is not the best but i have yet to do something about it, also watch out for the fore end screw when removing it can get damaged easily. as for how it shoots i have shot a few different types of bullets and the best combo is T7 loose 110 grs with a 300 grain shockwave or hornady sst, (same bullet) it shot the 250's real well also. i have had a few 3 shot groups touching at 75 yds.. good luck!!! dan
Old 12-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Start with a box or two of conicals to smooth out the bore. Then buyinexpensive sabot/bulletsto get on paper. T/C Cheapshots 240s would be my choice. Afterwards, you may find more expensive 240/250s like Shockwaves, Partitions, Expanders, Spitfires... etc...to shoot very closely on paper. All you do then is tweak the scope. Start with75 grains of powder& move up slowly in 10-grain increasesuntil groups spread... then backing down five grains sometimes gets you closest.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Thanx for the info, I just wanted to get an idea on what worked for other guys, I realize you have to play around with different products. Right now i am using Triple 7 pellets, but i plan on trying the loose powder.
Thanx for the advice and good luck to everyone!
Justin
Old 12-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

Hurry to Walmart while it is on sale! $9/pound right now just grabbed a couple more the othe day.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Justin, my Traditions seems to love the Hornady sabots...either 240 or 300's. Shoots around 4 or 5 inch groups open sighted at 100.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Traditions will lower the trigger pull to 4 pounds for a small fee of I think $40. If you have a gun smith work on it, you will void your warranty.

I also really like the Pursuit Pro other than a heavy trigger. I was shooting one last weekend with very good accuracy at 100 yards. Equipped with a Leupold VXII3x9x40 Scope.
Hornday 250grain SST, 90 grains of Black Mag'3, WIN 209.
Hornday 250grain SST, 105 grains of Hodgdon 777 FFG and WIN 209.

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Old 12-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Spike

First time logged on. Just got registered as new member and was curious about the Traditions Pursuit LT and Pro. I recently bought the LT and got good accuracy with 90 grains loose Pyrodex and .240 gr Hornady XTPs. Used Remington primers. Trigger pull could be lots better but is acceptable.I'm having a problemwith the action popping open after every shot. I tried lighter loads with same results.I've also got what I'd consider excessive fouling in the receiver after only a few shots. Is anybodyelse having this problem? If so, did you have to send the gun back for a fix?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike AR

First time logged on. Just got registered as new member and was curious about the Traditions Pursuit LT and Pro. I recently bought the LT and got good accuracy with 90 grains loose Pyrodex and .240 gr Hornady XTPs. Used Remington primers. Trigger pull could be lots better but is acceptable.I'm having a problemwith the action popping open after every shot. I tried lighter loads with same results.I've also got what I'd consider excessive fouling in the receiver after only a few shots. Is anybodyelse having this problem? If so, did you have to send the gun back for a fix?
Mike ... first off welcome to the forum. Its good to have you. I do not own one of the rifles you describe but if your having those kind of problems, make sure the rifle is as clean as possible in the breech locking area. Also I would personally call Tradition's and talk to someone there about the problem. It is probably a simple solution but you should at least hear the professional side of it from them. They might want the rifle back and could also at that time look at trigger adjustment. Some of the early Tradition Pursuits were known for hard triggers..

good luck with your rifle.

Quick Reply: Traditions ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.