Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Just bought a CVA Kodiak Magnum:) >

Just bought a CVA Kodiak Magnum:)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just bought a CVA Kodiak Magnum:)

Old 12-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just bought a CVA Kodiak Magnum:)

I actually bought it last week,, still in the box") havent had a chance to play with it yet.... anyone have one? the pivot action is kind of weird... I bought a scope for it, but it turned out ot be a airgun scope"( but I will be getting another one in a few days... hopefully I can get shooting it soon
anyone killed a deer with one?? I have the 50 cal magnum, what yardage can I expect????
Later
Old 12-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Just bought a CVA Kodiak Magnum:)

I have one, best load 2 777 pellets and a PR deadcenter sabot in 220 or 240 grs. Have taken two deer with it out to 160 yds. Sight in 3 inches high at a hundred
Old 12-08-2005, 08:07 PM

I got one this year and like it alot. My only grip is getting the primer out, always drops down into the action. Mine shoots like a champ, 100gr 777 and 250gr shockwaves.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Just curious, how hard loading are the QT Deadcenters, I have basically the same rifle(Winchester Apex 209), I am thinking trying them. Are you cleaning between shots? Thanks, Craig.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dbblung

Just curious, how hard loading are the QT Deadcenters, I have basically the same rifle(Winchester Apex 209), I am thinking trying them. Are you cleaning between shots? Thanks, Craig.
I'm shooting the deadcenteres They are the improved version of the QT. They load a little hard but not bad. I run two spit patches through it between shots. Accuracy in my rifle is very good and consistent. Kodiak-50
Old 12-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have one and I love it. My girlfriend (fiance as of last week) got it for me as a housewarming gift a year ago. I have taken one deer with it. I am shooting 2777 pellets topped with a 245 grain areo tip powerbelt bullet. I am 3 inches high at 60 yards and dead on at 115 yards. I could not get as good of performance with the 295gr powerbelt bullets out at the 100 yards mark.
The only thing I have noticed, Iuse a brass cleaning jig a couple times to bust up the crud ring when I am at the range between shots. I will then use a wet patch and two dry patches. This gives me the best accuracy. Ihave also tested at the range by loading a second shot without cleaning.The accuracy is not quite as good, but I feel it is acceptable if I need a follow up shot on an animal.
Have fun with it and I have got some great advice from this forumthat made my muzzleloading more enjoyable.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

I can't see how you get any kind of accuracy out of a PowerBelt as loose as they fit, clean or dirty barrel. The one buck I harvested with a Powerbelt the bullet fragmented and only hit a rib on entrance, found pieces all over his off side.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Roger,
You do bring up an interesting point and know I have a question for the muzzleloading experts.
It is true the Powerbelts are manufactured slightly underbore size. Powerbelt's website says this is due to help in loading. I orginally purchased powerbelt bullets, because that is what CVA recommended. I have never shot anything else and I have never noticed a loose loading. Therefore my question is concerning the size of the sabot bullets.
If the sabot bullets are full caliber size and the Powerbelts are slightly under would that account for the loose loading and therefore lack of accuracy after shooting with the sabots for a long time?I am very accurate with my powerbelts, but would still like to try other loads. However, if this meansI am going to get loose loads and bad accuracy (on Powerbelts) if I shoot sabots for a while then go back to the Powerbelts, then I will stay right where I am.
I hope this makes sense and I can get some opinions from the experts.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Spike

I hit ribs with the 245 powerbelt and got instant fragmentation, but the deer also did not get outof sight. I do not see a problem . If the deer drops in 50 yards, how did the bullet fail?
The 295 grain powerbelts go through.