Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 going to get a muzzleloader >

going to get a muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

going to get a muzzleloader

Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 PM

Default going to get a muzzleloader

for christmas this year my dad is going to buy me a muzzleloader, i would like to get one that is under 250 dollars with a kit, it doesnt have to have a scope because i already have one. it doesnt have to shoot very far as long as its accurate and has some decent power to it. i would like to get a 50 caliber so me and my dad can share bullets and stuff cuz he has a knight something cant remembe that is 50 caliber. im only 14 so i would like one that is easy to use and clean, especially becuz its my first ml rifle.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: going to get a muzzleloader

I'm 14 to! I would go with a traditional. These are a little over $$ but check them out. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0006567 210046a&navCount=2&podId=0006567&paren tId=cat601141&navAction=push&catalogCode=X F&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601 141
Traditonals will cost a little more though. I like how you can remove the barrels and clean most of the traditionals alot easier by doing so. Also I just like the traditional way and dont think I will ever really shoot an Inline. Also, you can shoot roundballs out of tradtionals better then inlines and be very accurate. Also roundballs are really cheap to and do a good job. PM me if you need anything else since I and 14 to. There are alot of knowleable people on this forum to help you to. Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: OhioHunter222

for christmas this year my dad is going to buy me a muzzleloader, i would like to get one that is under 250 dollars with a kit, it doesnt have to have a scope because i already have one. it doesnt have to shoot very far as long as its accurate and has some decent power to it. i would like to get a 50 caliber so me and my dad can share bullets and stuff cuz he has a knight something cant remembe that is 50 caliber. im only 14 so i would like one that is easy to use and clean, especially becuz its my first ml rifle.
Any suggestions?
Have your Dad start checking the Wal Marts and such when they put their black powder stuff on sale. You can get some excellent rifles for a very reasonable price. A Knight or Thompson Center are real good choices... Also your idea of getting a .50 caliber is an excellent choice. That rifle will serve you the rest of your life.

There is a Knight Disc Elite on sale at Sportsman's Guide right now for around $250.00 which is a great shooting rifle. One of Knight's best accurate rifles made... Some very lucky devils got T/C Omega Z5's for $169.00 which is outstanding. Keep checking the different gun maker sites, look at the different rifles and see which ones interest you. After you decide what features you like, let us know and we can help you find one...

Good luck with your search and rifle...
Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 PM

i dont want to get a traditional becuz my dad has an inline and we would like to be able to use each others bullets, etc.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

If i were you i would look at CVA's muzzleloaders. The Hunterbolt is a great gun for the price and is very accurate. It is easy to clean and it comes in 50 caliber. I have one and i love it.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

OhioHunter222

I do not own one, a Knight Disk Elite, but everyone that knows about ML's sure highly recommends them - to the point they think Knight is making a mistake dis-continueing them.

If I could come up with a valid reason to buy another BP - I would get one but with the inlines I have now - there just isn't away i could get away with it.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:59 PM

I would recommend the Omega Z5 but it's pricey for your range - slightly below $300 - perhaps you can find it on sale. Accurate and very easy to maintain.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

I would also suggest a KnightDISC Elite or a Wolverine in 50 cal.

If not a Knight then a T/C Z5 Omega. I have two Omega's and they are superb.

On another note, you could also search the local gun shops and likely pick up a really nice used ML for likely well under $250.

Good Luck
Old 12-05-2005, 08:05 PM

how about a cva kodiak or a cva wolf those are two of the ones i like
Old 12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Dominant Buck

There are a lot of CVA owners out there in the world. There are a lot of people shooting those two mentioned rifles with excellent results. For my own personal reasons I would not recommend them when there are other brands out there I feel a better value for the dollar. Not a better bargin mind you, because it is hard to compete dollar for dollar when you buy on cost, with a CVA. I am sure that the rifle will do just fine for you. Please read your manual close and stick to the load recommendations of the manufacture and do not exceed them. That goes for any rifle you purchase, not just CVA. I think the Kodiak is a better gun then the Wolf. If you want the Wolf, save a little more money and get a New Frontier Beartooth Magnum. Same rifle. In fact it comes in a CVA box I was told.

Quick Reply: going to get a muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.