Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which is hotter?

Old 12-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which is hotter?

Musket caps or #11 caps?

Al
Old 12-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which is hotter?

Musket caps do throw more ignition fire and volume.

If you are thinking of switching to a musket cap I would first try
RWS Dynamit-Nobel #1075 (No 11) percussion caps. Theyare exceptional. I've been shooting RWS #1075's for over 30 years and have never needed a musket cap.

However, if you are shooting Pyrodex or pellets then I could see where a hotter ignition would be required.

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Old 12-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

alleyyooper

I wrote CCI and e-mail and asked this very same question - can not say that they provided the answer that I understood, but their indication was the the Musket cap burned at a higher temp than a #11, but that a #11 Mag cap was very comparable to a Musket cap - for what ever that is worth...
Old 12-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

Musket caps or #11 caps?

Al
The problem with musket caps is finding a musket cap/musket nipple combo that stays on/won't keep falling off. Buy an aftermarket hotter #11 nipple like Red-Hot/HotShot or my favorite Spitfire -- then buy the red tin RWS/Dynamit Nobel #1075 caps.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I was told that a musket cap produced 10 times the fire of a #11 cap. Whether I believe that or not is another story. As Triple Se7en pointed out, the problem with a musket nipple is suddenly you look down and the cap is not there. I have to pinch them together a little so they tight fit.

I've found that with a traditional and in line for that matter, if the barrel is clean and dry and the fire channel clear, have yet tohave an ignition problem using the hotter #11 caps like a CCI Magnum or my favorite, Dynamite Noble 1075 caps.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:04 AM

I use musket caps exclusively in both of my Black Diamonds. They are easier to manipulate, when capping and de-capping, than the 209's. The secret to getting them to stay on the nipple when hunting is as follows:

1. Paint the outside of the nipple with a black magic marker.

2. Push on a musket cap, and rotate it 360 degrees.

3. Remove musket cap.

4. Remove nipple and note the spot where the front of the cap rubbed a circle around the nipple. Put nipple in a lathe a cut a groove about .010 deep at this point.

When you cap the gun in the field, bend the petals of the cap in a little until they "snap" over the groove in the nipple.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the answers much more information than I had asked for which I'll put to good use.

Al
Old 12-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

Musket caps or #11 caps?

Al
Al, most people will claim that the musket cap is hotter than a #11. I have used both extensively, and cannot, for the life of me, detect any difference in ignition capabilities from one to the other. As a matter of fact, a CCI #11 magnum cap does a better job for me than any musket cap I have tried, and this includes the ability to blow leaves and grass shoots around on the ground when I am clearing my barrels for loading by popping a couple caps.

However, if you want hot, use a Mag-Spark nipple in place of a #11 or musket size nipple, and use the #209 shotgun primers with your traditional rifle. These things are HOT!!http://octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=395

The one shown here is metric. But I purchased mine from the manufacturer, Hubbard Outdoor Products, and they havce 1/4X28and U.S. musket thread sizes as well.

Old 12-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

eldeguello Thanks for that bit of information.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

That would be cool to try someday.