Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Buying first muzzleloader >

Buying first muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying first muzzleloader

Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Buying first muzzleloader

I've been looking at muzzleloader's at Cabela's & was looking for some recommendations. The gun will be used 100% for southern Vermont whitetail deer hunting....most shots will be less than 100 yards. I have seen that cabela's will mail order certain muzzleloaders with their "pine ridge" 2.5-7x32 scopes. Does anyone have any experience ordering guns with scopes from Cabelas? I can't make my mind up with so many options! It seems to me the logical choices are between the cva & the T/C. It will be my first muzzleloader soI don't won't to spend a fortune I want somethingaccurate/easy to use/ & reliable. Seems to me cabela's has a great deal on the CVA Hunterbolt 209 Magnum Combo with .45& .50 cal barrels & mossy oak camo for $149.99.Would that be a good option...any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric
Old 11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Buying first muzzleloader

There are many good rifle buys out there and at the end of the holiday season there will be some really super sales on them. I would wait a while.You will get a great rifle for a great deal. People found Thompson Center Omega Z5 in the store for $169.00 that's well over a hundred buck off for one of the best rifles on the market.

Sportsman's Guide is selling a Knight Disc Elite for $250 for a Stainless.. that's insane. One of their best shooting rifles. I think they have a 2.5 inch guarantee out of the box on that rifle...

More will be coming. You do not have to settle for a low cost if you can hang on. If this is a present for someone, and you really need a rifle now, look at the NEF Sidekick.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:53 AM

I'm pretty happy with my NEF Huntsman so far. I won't have a chance to field test it unti next year, though.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Not taking anything away from the Pine Ridge Scope...

I would spent my money on the best ML and optics/mounts I could afford. If the CVA and the Pine Ridge is it then go for that.

I would also rather hunt open sights with a better rifle and wait untilI could get the optics I want versus something less.

You really cannot go wrong with the T/C Omega.

Seeing how you are always inside of 100 yards, don't overlook at decent sidelock percussion. They can often be found at excellent prices in local shops.

Good Luck!

Tahquamenon
Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 PM

I just recieved the Knight Disc Elite that Cay mentions in his post, to add to my collection. It's a really nice looking rifle and might get it out to the range tomorrow if I find some higher bases/rings for it. In order to find it at Sportsman Guide you may need the catalog number which is: LX5P-92337 If it shoots anywhere as nice as my Knight Wolverine I'll be pleased.

If you make an order with SportsmanGuide, you may want to check out http://www.ar15.comunder the ammo section there's a link towards the top for latest prices of ammo, using the link to SG that way will bring up some coupons which will save you $15 or $20, might make the cost small enough that you'll end up with a little nicer ML. Just a thought.

I have a Pine Ridge on the Wolverine and it's basically there because I didn't have enough $$$ for decent glass when I purchased it. Should just use the sights. The new Elite doesn't have sights and I purchased a Simmons Aetec scope over at Natchez for $99, they have the Simmons 44 Mags on sale for around $60, which would probably be better then the Pine Ridge and priced great. The last day out with the Wolverine/Pine Ridge was rainy/foggy and there was still shooting light, but the optics wouldn't allow for a good site picture, so I'm hoping for better things with the Aetec.

Good luck

Old 12-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should go with a Traditional. That is all I will ever shoot.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:53 PM

If you have Wal-Marts in your area it might be worth looking in their sporting goods department. I just bought 2 muzzleloaders there today for dirt cheap as they have put all their remaining stock on clearance. At the store I visited they had a Knight Wolverine bubble pack for $120, CVA Optima with Blued barrel and Black Synthetic stock for $74, CVA Optima with Nickel Barrel and Black stock for $99, CVA Kodiak with Blued Barrel and Mossy Oak Stock for $109 and the CVA Buckhorn with Blued Barrel and Black Stock was marked down to only $40. They also had their T/C Black Diamonds and Optimas marked down, but I can't remember the prices as they had sold out of those guns before I got there.

If anyone is interested for future reference, Thursdays are the day that Wal-Mart marks down their items.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:59 PM

I ORDERED A CVA BEARTOOTH MAGNUM FROM CABELAS
EARLY LAST YEAR. 45CAL. WITH THE 2.7 SCOPE THAT
YOU MENTIONED. I LOVE IT SHOOTS GREAT, EASY TO
LOAD EASY TO CLEAN AND VERY DEADLY. SO FAR I'VE
TAKEN ONE EASTERN TURKEY, AND THREE DEER WITH
MINE. THE PINE RIDGE SCOPE HAS NEVER FOGGED OR
FAILED TO PLACE MY PROJECTILE EXACTLY WHERE I
WANTED IT TO BE. BUT THERE ARE THOSE WHO WILL
DISAGREE, BUT TO ME I'VE NEVER HAD A DEAD ANIMAL
DISAPPOINTED WITH THE FIREARM I USED TO TAKE
THEM WITH. JUST MY OPNION.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

for what it's worth, Pine ridge scopes, I'd save my money, I purchased 2 of them a few years back (2 1/2 x black powder/shotgun) and they both had the back eye piece come loose, now to give cabelas credit they did replace the one and when the 2nd one did the same thing I gave up. Now everyone here will laugh, I don't care I've found that a BSA 4 x 32 has decent clarity, holds its zero (which most cheap scopes won't) the only thing that is messed up with them is that a click sometimes is anything but 1/4" at 100 so it takes a little more sighting in.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:17 PM

I just sold my first muzzle loader: a .45CVA hunter bolt (nickle/camo)with the pine ridge2-7 scope. This was the most accurateand reliable gun I owned.Everyone who shot the gun fell in love with it. 2 50grain sticks and a 225 powerbelt bullet and you will touch the bulletholes in the paper on three shots @100yds. I had thisfor three years and already miss it. I only sold it becuaseI came acrossa good deal on an Encore.
Personaly, I will be looking tofind another for a good deal when I am done paying for the Encore. I did like the scope - I never had a problem with it and for the price I thought I had the best muzzle loader scope I could buy.
The Cabela's deal does look very good. If you buy the scope - get it with the scope package. Not the scope alone. It is the same price for the scope as it is for the scope and mounts.

Ingoldx1

Quick Reply: Buying first muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.