Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 tripple 7 or Pyrodex in cold weather? >

tripple 7 or Pyrodex in cold weather?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

tripple 7 or Pyrodex in cold weather?

Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 PM

Default tripple 7 or Pyrodex in cold weather?

well as most know my hunt is fast approaching (dec 5-10) and we get real cold temps here in canada, well today I shot pyrodex pellets for the first time,at the range with kleenbore primers, and didnt notice the kaaa-boom that I was sometimes getting with the tripple 7 pellets, you couldnt even tell the difference between the 209 and actual shot, with trip 7 I was noticing it more, are my observation pretty well accurate, now for my hunt I am planning on going with pyrodex and regular winchester 209 shotgun primers, will this give me a virtually fail safe shot (keeping moisture under control and out of the equation) or can I still use the kleenbores dispite the bitter cold, as the pyrodex seems to light very easy???
so my options: all loads will be pushing hornaday sst 250 grain bullets
100 grain pyro pellets and win.209 shotgun primers
100 grain pyro pellets and rem. kleenbore primers
100 grain trip 7 pellets and win.209 shotgun primers
100 grain trip 7 pellets and rem. kleenbore primers
whitch would you want in your gun in well below freezing temps watching a huge buck at a 100 yards, getting ready to pull the trigger????
Old 11-29-2005, 04:04 PM

Default RE: tripple 7 or Pyrodex in cold weather?

You'd be better off with loose powder, but the Pyrodex pellets and Win 209's would be the best of the choices you listed. Federal 209's would be better yet.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

y_not5

I think you already no my opinions. I feel the weak link in your system is the pellets. I feel that it takes more fire to get them to fire. The colder the temp the hotter you are going to have to get them - Therefore I would suggest the Win 209's, which pellet you use doesn't seem in my mind to make a difference, when you are shooting a 100 grains of t7 pellets you are not really shooting 100 grains - you are shooting an equivelent load to 100 grains of Pyro or real BP.

I am not qualified to to make ajudgement on which pellet is better Pyro/t7 becuase I do not have enough experiance with them...

Primers - I just do not hink there is enough past experiance out there to amke a real judgement on the new Remingtons yet. I, personally would use my Remington 209-4's in any temo but I am shooting loose powder.

Good luck on your trip and the hunt....
Old 11-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I never shot pellets (that I paid for ) but when it is cold and wet, I want as hot a primer as I can get behind the powder. To heck with the crud ring worries.. I want the gun to go off. I think Wolfhound76 is right on the money..
Old 11-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

I don't believe there is much difference between remington and winchester 209 primers if any. I don't think it matters between the two.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader
I feel the weak link in your system is the pellets. I feel that it takes more fire to get them to fire. The colder the temp the hotter you are going to have to get them - Therefore I would suggest the Win 209's, which pellet you use doesn't seem in my mind to make a difference, when you are shooting a 100 grains of t7 pellets you are not really shooting 100 grains - you are shooting an equivelent load to 100 grains of Pyro or real BP.

I am not qualified to to make ajudgement on which pellet is better Pyro/t7 becuase I do not have enough experiance with them...
FYI,

The triple seven pellets are harder to ignite and are for 209 primers only.For cold weather I'd use the hottest primer I could find. The Pyrodex pellets have impregnated blackpowder on one end and can be ignited with #11 caps. Still the hotter the primer the better for cold weather reliability. I used Pyrodex pellets for a while with the Winchesters and never had an issue in cold weather. I shoot at the range like I would hunting. The coldest I've ever shot is 10-20 degrees. I've never had any issues with Pyrodex pellets except when I combined them with Powerbelts. The pellets didn't burn fast enough and ejected the Powerbelt and pellets without a complete burn. Only in Knights but I won't use PB's in anything now unless I use loose powder. I now use loose powder only in everything and have for 3 years.