Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What do you use when you swab? >

What do you use when you swab?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you use when you swab?

Old 11-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you use when you swab?

What do you all use when you swab at the range? Solvent, vinegar, alcohaul, Water, ect. I am new to this and have not shot my rifle yet. Wich ones will work and wich ones dont. Also, wich ones work best or will they all work just fine?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What do you use when you swab?

When I shoot my Traditional rifle all I swab with is isopropyl or denatured alcohol. In my inline rifles I use a mixture of alcohol and car windshield washer fluid....
Old 11-28-2005, 08:26 PM

how to you mix it, does it matter?? or can I fill a small spray bottle with half and half??
Old 11-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

I started using Cayugad's mix last year.Works great with both 777 and BM3.

Charlie
Old 11-29-2005, 12:51 AM

I use Thompson Center's #13 bore cleaner then dry patch or just a Tradition's pretreated patch with wonder lube 1000 plus. The #13 is great for everything for cleanup. It looks like milk.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I will try alcohal. Sounds good to me.

Thanks alot

Old 11-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pse-archer

What do you all use when you swab at the range? Solvent, vinegar, alcohaul, Water, ect. I am new to this and have not shot my rifle yet. Wich ones will work and wich ones dont. Also, wich ones work best or will they all work just fine?
I use 2.5" square GI cleaning patches, and just put them in my mouh and chew on them until they are good and wet. Nothing else. This works fine!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

For the inlines, I mix it 50/50 of 91% isopropyl alcohol and summer blend car windshield washer fluid. I put that in any small bottle that I can carry. One of the best bottles I have is a small plastic glasses lenscleaning solution bottle. You can spray the patch and it will fit into your possible bag real nice. Also you can clean the lens on your scope with it. Spray a patch and wipe the lens clean and then buff it with a dry one...

The reason I went with isopropyl alcohol in the traditional rifle is it reduced the hangfires and misfires. It also drys very fast. Although the other stuff works, you have to be very careful about the degree of patch saturation. If you get the patch too wet, it will turn the fowling into a crud and push it back against the worm channel in the breech. This can cause some real problems if you fail to pick the nipple. For some reason, on the range I got out of the habit of picking the nipple. I guess I was having too good of ignition. Only one rifle needs to be picked constantly and that is a CVA.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Spike

I'd like to use a combo using the windshield wash with water or alcohol, but the the only wash I can find is a winter blend.Most posters specifically state to use a summer blend windshield wash. Is there a big difference?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:26 PM

I USE THE ALCOHOL W/WASH MIX WORKS GREAT
FOR ME 1-WET 2-DRY I USE WINTER/MIX IT STILL
WORKS FINE FOR ME.

Quick Reply: What do you use when you swab?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.