Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 please I need help >

please I need help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

please I need help

Old 11-26-2005, 10:30 PM

Default please I need help

ok here is my problem, just got 3 new sidekicks 2 wood and one stainless, we were sighting them in, and for the love of god I cant get mine (the stainless one) to shoot right,its all over no matter what we do it wont shoot straight left high low, to the right, we compinsate for the windage and it goes way off the same, cant get it to shoot the same twice, using 2 trip,7 pellets TC cheap shots 240, and harnaday SST 250 grains,now we sighted in my dads blued version dead nuts at 100 yards I shot it and took out the bull the size of a quarter and 100 yards, and he puts three shots less than 1 1/2 inches apart and less the an inch from the bull at 100yards, I shot his to see if was me, as I have always been a good shot and proved it when I shot his, and my grandfathers shoots well 2 3inch groups as we ran out of time to fine tune but its getting there, and he is using a cheaper tasco scope, what gives?? so I am thinking my scope might have something wrong with it? its brand new bushnell banner 3x9x40 circle X, my dads is a brand new bushnell banner 3x9x40 cross hair.. anyone know what it could be>??? I am gonna exchange scopes for another cause we cant figure out what it is???
Old 11-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: please I need help

One other thing it might be.. you mentioned yours was stainless. Sometimes stainless have ruff spots in the barrel. You can shoot them smooth or you can take some J-B Bore Paste and a chunk of Scotch Brite Scrub Pad and buff them smooth. If they are real ruff.. then you can do a gentle lapp on the barrel. Take some cotton balls and push them through the barrel. Then look in there and see how many fibers are sticking to the walls of the rifle. If there are a lot of them, that indicates that the rifle is just ruff and needs to smooth out.

I got two new stainless steel barrels for my Renegade. I was suprised how much better it was after I took J-B Bore Paste and worked the barrel over some. After that the accuracy improved even more...

If you want to shoot them smooth, get a box of cheap maxiball and lube them up, and shoot the whole box off. Then be sure and J-B Bore Paste the barrel to make sure they is no lead build up in it.

I'm sure the scope is mounted right, but check your scope mounts. Also if you put a new scope on it and the rifle does the same thing, then I would suspect that the barrel just needs to be smoothed out.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does your rifle have iron sights as well as a acope?

If so, try shooting it using the irons - this should tell you pretty quick if it is the scope or not.

(Bushnell Banners are NOT the world's most reliable scope!!)

Just offhand, I'd say it is PROBABLY a scope or mount problem. But using a tight patch/jag combination on your cleaning rod after cleaning, you should be able to FEEL any rough spots in the barrel as you slide the patch up and down the bore...... If you find them, then use cayugad's suggestion and polish them out!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:11 AM

thanks guys I will do that, I mean you cant really mount the scope wrong on our setup, after all we have put scoped on before and we sighted in the other 2 dead nuts, the one is even more accurate than a rifle.I will try the barrel thing and I already thought of shooting it with the iron sights to see all great ideas thanks for the help, if you have any more ideas keep them coming as I am stumped I am gonna go shooting again tommorow with the new scope and maybe today with the iron sights, and right now I am gonna check the barrel...
Old 11-27-2005, 08:55 AM

well ran the cotton through the barrel , no fibers got caught and I cant really see anything in there that would cause problems, no I may still shoot some conicals to just be safe I know my gun shop sells, remington ones I dont remember the name but they come in a little green hard plastic box, will these do and what do I need to to do as I never shot "big" bullets before only saboted ones?? any grain weight idea I am shooting a side kick..
Old 11-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Check your manual and make sure there are not conical weight restrictions on the rifle. Some of them have a 400 grains weight. I always buy maxiball in bulk through http://www.blackjackhill.com/ and then lube them myself.

You can also shoot roundball. .490 roundball and a patch should go down the barrel. Load a light load of 50 grains of loose powder and I think they might shoot better then you think. They will also knock any ruff spots off the barrel walls. I have a little Knight Wolverine and with 50-70 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball this little rifle is accurate enough to small game hunt with.

Since you looked down there and could see nothing maybe it is just the scope. On my Stainless, when I would swab the barrel, the patch would come back torn. After I J-B Bore Pasted it, the patches come out fine now.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:11 PM

The general "rule" with break in shots is to use the bullet with the longest bearing surface possible - even if the barrel twist won't stabilize it. You might look for some 410 grain Hornady Great Plains - or some of the heavy weight T/C Maxi Balls. Or order some No Excuses bullets - they come in very long heavy weights.