Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 high at 100 yds again! >

high at 100 yds again!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

high at 100 yds again!

Old 11-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default high at 100 yds again!

I have a .50 omega and I shoot 100 grns of pyro pellets and I have the open sights as low as they go and I have shot 240,250 and 330 grain sabots and they all shoot at least 8" high at 100 yds can someone tell what load to shoot so I can hunt deer from 20-100yds.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: high at 100 yds again!

Sounds like you might need a different taller front sight.. contact Thompson Center and see what they have to say about this...
Old 11-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could you try a lower powder charge?
I mean you are only shooting out to 100 yds. A couple of grains might be all you need to reduce by.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I really do not think dropping the powder charge is the problem. 100 grains is a standard load for most inline rifles. If this is shooting that hight, I think there would still be a problem. Wasn't there posts a while back about some of the Omega rifles that were shooting high and it was because of a front sight problem? Maybe I am thinking of a different rifle.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

patchholder,

here is my 2 cents - Cayugad is most often always right... from what I read and the information you have provided you need a taller front sight blade.

TC is usually very accomodating or if you have a gun smith in your area and you need the problem solved really rapidly might check him out...
Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM

I have two T/C Black Diamonds. One of them needed a taller rear sight (or shorter front sight) to shoot conicals. The other one was just fine. FWIW, if you go with a Williams receiver sight (peep), you can probably get enough adjustment out of it to correct the problem - and get a better sight out of the deal to boot.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: patchholder

I have a .50 omega and I shoot 100 grns of pyro pellets and I have the open sights as low as they go and I have shot 240,250 and 330 grain sabots and they all shoot at least 8" high at 100 yds can someone tell what load to shoot so I can hunt deer from 20-100yds.
You need to put a higher front sight on your gun to drop the point of impact.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone I will check into this front sight issue, that does make sense.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only been ML hunting for 3 years and I have a feeling cayugad has been for many more. Take his advise.....like I always say...learn something new everyday.

Thanks cayugad for teaching me a new trick for today.
Good luck with your sight patchholder.

Steven
Old 11-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: .308hunter

I've only been ML hunting for 3 years and I have a feeling cayugad has been for many more. Take his advise.....like I always say...learn something new everyday.

Thanks cayugad for teaching me a new trick for today.
Good luck with your sight patchholder.Steven
The rule of iron sight adjustment says:

"Move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact of the bullet to move. Move the front sight in the direction OPPOSITE to that you want the point of impact to move."

SO if you have the rear sight all the way down as far as it can go and the gun still shoots high, then you have to move the FRONT SIGHT UP! To do this, you generally need to put on a taller sight blade up front!

Quick Reply: high at 100 yds again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.