Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Recoil Pad

Old 11-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Omega Recoil Pad

The recoil pad on my Omega feels a lot harder than the recoil pads on my other guns. I have heard some reports about the recoil at hotter loads being bad with the Omega. I am suspecting that the recoil pad is the reason. I am considering replacing the factory pad with a Sims Limbsaver pad. Has anyone changed the recoil pad and did they like it better?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM

Default RE: Omega Recoil Pad

Yep, I love my sims, no problem shooting 100gr loads with 250 shockwaves.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:12 AM

I replaced mine with thesims padand love it. after shooting 60 rds with the stock pad my shoulder was black and blue the size of 2 soft balls, and I don't bruise easy at all. made the switch and shot 30 rds a week later no problem.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

yakfisher,
The sims recoil pads are excellent and are not that expensive.I bought one for my Encore and I liked it so well that I bought 4 more for some of my other T/C muzzleloaders that I shoot often. If you are recoil sensitive or just want to tame downthe recoil, this is the pad to use. I've bought other recoil pads and I've been disappointed in them. They were hardly better than the stock recoil pads that came with the rifle.
The only thing I don't like about the Sims recoil pad is that itcollapses so easily that you loose the feel for seating your bullet. This is not a problem when shooting pellets, but when shooting loose powder it's more difficult to get a good feel for the seating pressure.
Note: I made a mistake when I placed my order for additional Sims recoil pads for the Encore/Omega. I didn't realize at the time that there was a difference between the rynite stock pad and the pad that's used on the wood models. You need to specify the correct stock.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:59 AM

The sims pad gets my vote too. I put one on my Omega and can shoot all day with no discomfort. I would say buy one and you won't be sorry.

Bill
Old 11-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

I ordered the Sims last night. Will be in this week hopefully.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Make sure the screws are long enough. I had to use the original screws with mine rather than the ones they sent with the Simms as they were too short and would strip out before they tightened up in the synthetic stock.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a "custom fit" Sims pad for my Omega.No more bruised shoulder.The fit was'nt "Custom" and the screws were too short. It sure is a nice pad though.

Charlie
Old 11-21-2005, 12:03 PM

I found out that my bruised shoulder was due to incorrect placement.

When I first got my Omega I was trying out different loads and at the end of a long weekend I had a bruised shoulder and general pain. So I too started checking out the Sims pads, thinking I needed to enhance my recoil pad. However my budget for the month was blown so I couldn't spring the $50 and decided to wait.

Good thing I did. Over the next several sessions at the range I noticed that I was placing the butt just a tiny bit too far out and that it wasn't tight enough against my shoulder. After a bit of practice I realized I needed to bring it in more and tighen it up, and soon afterwards the recoil pain went away. Since then I've shot about 300 rounds out of the gun, using anywhere from 90 to 150 grains of powder, and there hasn't been any bruising and pain.

So my advice is, before you spend money on the pad, experiment with altering the position of the butt a little bit.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I got the Sims today. It is a great pad. It is like night and day. It even makes the rifle look better!. I will be shooting it this week. I will let you guys know what I think. If I really like it, I may be replacing some pads on some of my other guns. My duck guns will come first. Those 3" magnum shells have some punch.

Quick Reply: Omega Recoil Pad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.