Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Keeping primers dry when hunting >

Keeping primers dry when hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Keeping primers dry when hunting

Old 11-19-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Keeping primers dry when hunting

I'm asking for suggestions on how to take extra 209 primers with me when hunting, so far what iv'e done is put the box in a ziplock and drop it in the fanny pack but i'm looking for a way to cut down on weight and bulk plus I shure dont need an extra 100 primers so how do you keep an extra 4 or 5 primers safe,dry, and handy?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Keeping primers dry when hunting

I always place the primers in with my speed loaders. The speed loaders I have have a seperate compartments. One for the bullet and the other for the powder. The bullet goes in first and the primer on top.

Tomster
Old 11-19-2005, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: DNICK

I'm asking for suggestions on how to take extra 209 primers with me when hunting, so far what iv'e done is put the box in a ziplock and drop it in the fanny pack but i'm looking for a way to cut down on weight and bulk plus I shure dont need an extra 100 primers so how do you keep an extra 4 or 5 primers safe,dry, and handy?
Actually, modrern 209 primers are all sealed during manufacturing...you could drop them in a glass of water, then go shoot them
Old 11-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Get a Dog Bone capper. You put ten primers in it and carry that in your shirt pocket. Nice and easy, as you load the rifle off the dog bone.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

You can buy a 209 capper from Walmart. It will hold about 10 209 primers. I also waterproof mine by either painting the back of them with clear Hard As Nails (nail polish) or I will spray a whole tray with clear laquer. I have an open breech rifle and have had moisture seep into the primer and the primer not go off. This is basically what manufacturers do to their waterfowl shotgun shells. They will have a red coating over the primer, wihch is guess what, laquer(nail polish).
Old 11-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

209 Capper and put that on like a inside pocket of your coat if you have it.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can pour a gallon of water on my Omega breechplug with 209 primer attached... then fire it no problems. Most-all 209 primers are tough & withstand bad weather. What's more important than waterproofing primers is making sure your primer is hot enough when hunting in foul weather. Power that begins to take on dampness needs 209 primers like the hottest Federal 209As. I always bring two dogbones with me hunting.... one with weaker primers in it& one with Federals.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

T/C Dog-bone works well. I also keep it in my shirt pocket.

209 primers are "virtually" waterproof. I would not suggest dropping them in water and then relying on them for a hunting situation.

But I would not worry as much about protecting them from moisture like you need to with say percussion caps. #11 caps don't work well if they are subjected to moisture.

Tahquamenon
Old 11-22-2005, 07:47 AM

theres a breath mint that comes in a small metal box,about the size of a pack of smokes.(can't remember there name right now) remembered the name. it is the "Altoids mints."
I take my 209's and cut the first strip off the pack,(holds about 10 caps) I take that and 6 - 50 grain pyrodex pellets and 3 powerbelt bullets and put them into that metal box.I take the foam sheet that is in the pyrodex box and lay on top then stick my capper on top of that.everything is in one little box in my shirt pocket.

never had to worry bout anything getting wet.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

theres a breath mint that comes in a small metal box,about the size of a pack of smokes.(can't remember there name right now) remembered the name. it is the "Altoids mints."
I take my 209's and cut the first strip off the pack,(holds about 10 caps) I take that and 6 - 50 grain pyrodex pellets and 3 powerbelt bullets and put them into that metal box.I take the foam sheet that is in the pyrodex box and lay on top then stick my capper on top of that.everything is in one little box in my shirt pocket.

never had to worry bout anything getting wet.
Altoids containers work nice for stuff like homemade prelubed patches too. Always keep the primers individually packed to avoid sparking them.

Quick Reply: Keeping primers dry when hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.