Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Rolling Block question >

Rolling Block question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rolling Block question

Old 11-14-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Rolling Block question

Just registered on this site tonight and have looked at all posts for about 7 pages now. Have not seen or heard anything on the Cabella Rolling block. I just ordered 1 today and are now wondering if it was a mistake. I have heard they don't clean all that well, but has anyone info on them for deer hunting? Would appreciate honest answers as my feeling will not be hurt. It is sharp looking and wood.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Rolling Block question

no one has heard of this ML????????
Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I've heard of them. I think they had a 1-48 twist and were .50 caliber. In fact I think poster... Triple Se7en owned one or still does. He might be able to give you some good information on them.

throw up a link to the rifle so we can take a look at it...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:21 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=DJRA1N3TQW3O3TQSNOHCCOWOCJVZCI WE?id=0031464213911a&type=product&cmCat=cc hart_mdrn_blk_pwdr_rfl&_requestid=84838

Here's the link to the rifle-- Hope this works
Old 11-14-2005, 07:23 PM

The link does work and the twist is 1 in 24 i believe. There is not a lot of info on the pict so any info would be great as I did buy it today.Thanks

Old 11-14-2005, 07:24 PM

being new, who may triple seven be?

Old 11-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

A 1-24 twist is a fast rate of twist. The rifle will probably shoot sabots and conicals very well. Whether you will ever need (3) three 50 grain pellets for a projectile, time will tell. I suspect that 100 grains and a good quality sabot will shoot real well.

Triple Se7en is a poster that comes in here from time to time. He has a lot of hands on experience with different rifles, powders, and projectiles. I value his opinion a great deal.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Thanks again for the reply. I am a little more than excited as being new to muzzleloading is a little different for me. Can't wait?. Were you abl;e to see the rifle? I tried looking up and getting some reviews but no luck. If anyone has or had one please let me know whatever ya think would help
Diaedy
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the 54-cal for six years. All I shot in it were full-bore conicals like Powerbelts & Ballets. They are a bit heavy being slightly over 8 lbs. They well built with nice wood grain/stain. In those days, I shot Pyrodex & I itdid well out to 100 yards.

Now for some bad news! It is literally the hardest muzzleloader to clean in the whole world. To completely disassemble requires taking out a dozen screws. It has a fitting over a fitting that goes over the breechplug. Why?... I haven't got a clue!

Inside that door to the breechplug has a nook & crannie that needs Q-Tip cleaning to remove blowback. The door has a plunger that the trigger pushes to ignite the primer. Mine broke twice... it froze up despite oiling it all the time.

Being the original 54 with #11 nipple ignition, it became a collectors item. I fired that gun several hundred times & the head gun tech at Cabelas in Dundeegave me ALL MY MONEY back on a trade-in for a TC Omega -- even though it was six years old & partially worn.

Want my advice? Cancel that order & get the Omega. Much cleaner to shoot/no blowback, easier to clean & take apart... less fussy about bullets & more accurate. Get the SS/Thumbhole version.

Now excuse me! Our Opening Day of Firearms Season starts around 7:20 tomorrow morning & I'm going to bed. May not check back in here until Sunday night or Monday night.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:15 PM

I have handled one in the store. It felt pretty good if you like the older style rifles. I thought it looked pretty good as well. A bit on the heavy side. The guy I talked to seemed to think they were going to discontinue it, but it doesn't look like they did.

I wonder how hard the scope mount would be to get if you wanted a scope for it. It says drilled and tapped for a scope mount, but no mention of what kind it takes.

I thought it was a bit pricey myself though.

Paul

Quick Reply: Rolling Block question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.