Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 encore hammer extension >

encore hammer extension

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

encore hammer extension

Old 11-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default encore hammer extension

I changed to a thumbhole stock on my encore muzzleloader, went withleupold quick release base and low rings on a leupold 2x7x32 scope. My question is now to get the eye relief right for me with glasses, I can barely get my thumb between the scope eye piece and the hammer, I dont think med rings would help much and I hate to get the scope up high. Does anyone usea hammer extension? I thought I had read the thompson center discouraged their use. Any help or thoughts would be great........thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 02:53 PM

Default RE: encore hammer extension

I had the same problem with my Optima, and I installed see-thru scope mounts. It gets the scope up higher from the barrel, but at least you can cock it! No problem with the scope being up a little higher on the barrel.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Spike

I mounted a 3x9x40 on my Encore using the Leapold QR base with QR high rings.....Have room to cock the hammer but I went ahead and put on a hammer extender anyway. I bought it from Cabelas. Much easier to cock the hammer with it on.

I haven't heard anything about T/C discouraging the use of a hammer extension. Really see noadverse affect on the rifle firing mechanisms.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=817009&mpage=1&key=hammer%2cexte nsion?

I had remembered this topic discussed before. I remember someone saying that a hammer extension voids the warranty on the rifle as far as Thompson Center was concerned. So take that into account. I posted the old link. I found it running a search. There is some good information in there, so you might want to take a look.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

cayugad thanks for looking up those past posts for me, I tried higher rings yesterday and it just didnt feel right, I am going to order a bellmextensionand try that..
Old 11-14-2005, 09:17 AM

Yup, that is what they told me although I still use my hammer extension. The original problem was that some shells would not fire with my 12 gauge slug barrel. I have since installed Bellm locking springs and hinge pin and I do not have the problem anymore.

I have noticed that in all hunting shows that are sponsored by TC, none of the hunters use hammer extensions. Don't know if it is just coincindence or not.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Spike

Just followed up with T/C Customer Support and asked them the question on hammer extensions and warranty. Answer is 'yes' they void the warranty. T/C also saidthey receive many calls a day regarding this subject. I wasn't given any good reason why, just that it voids the warranty. T/C recommendshigher scope mountsfor clearance to the hammer if needed.

I guess it pays to ask first but I personally can't imagineone of these extenders would have any kind of ill affect on the firing mechanism. Reading the past posts that 'cayuqad' provided, there is some discussion of T/C saying the hammerextensionscould cause torque problems andthe hammer notseating in the correct position properly when cocked.That really seems hard to believe. Maybe with a Daisy BB rifle but not a T/C rifle. Worst case that I could see would be that it becomes loose and needs to be re-tighten.

I really didn't need a hammerextensionbut it does make it easier to cock, and it appears to be safer too. I plan on leaving mine attached since so many othersare using themand I haven't read of anything bad. I figure if so manyplaces such asCabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, etcall sell them, there can't be anything that terriblywrong. The one I purchased from Cabelas did have a warning that just stated it wasn't a T/C product.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:57 AM

That was the reason they gave me also. That it could torque the hammer mechanism and you would not get the full force striking the firing pin. I have not had any problems since I installed the Bellm products. I also did not have any problems on any of my other barrels, only on the slug barrel. I do not know why this would void any warranty but maybe they replaced several recievers due to this before they found this "excuse". Other than this, I have not had any problems with their customer service. I have had my hammer extension on my Encore for 2 years now without any problems.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:34 PM

I think the problem was with steel extensions and the thin part of the Encore hammer. The added weight was bending or breaking the hammer at the thin part. I think I read that aluminum extension work ok. You won't go wrong with a Belm part.

Ethan