Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Maxihunter accuracy >

Maxihunter accuracy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Maxihunter accuracy

Old 11-03-2005, 10:04 AM
bigcountry

Default Maxihunter accuracy

Got a T/C hawkin 1 in 48 twist. Its not that accurate with 350gr maxihunters and goex. Maybe 2.5" groups at 25 yards and of course 4-5" at 50 yards. I have always used them in sidelocks cause my shots were never over 50 yards. But recently took a 60 yard shot.

But I have hit high with them before thru both lungs and have serious trouble finding an animal.

So this year, I want to improve on this gun. I got some 320gr and 370gr maxi balls.

Any more conicals anyone suggest. I know cayugad likes no excuses. But they look rather heavy for me and deer hunting.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Maxihunter accuracy

I like the maxiball as a conical. They are a real game getter. I also like the R.E.A.L. conicals. in the 1-48 twist I found the smaller R.E.A.L.s to shoot better then the larger and of course the opposite case when loading the inline fast twist. The Great Plain Conical and the Buffalo Bullet Conicals are also nice shooting.

Have you ever shot any of the Colorado Conicals that Cabela's sells? I have thought of getting some of them and trying them to see how they shoot.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Are you using a felt Wonderwad behind your Maxihunter? These improved things for me. Try 100 gr. of 3f Triple 7.

Another conical load that has shot great in my in-lines is the 410 Hornady Great Plains with a MMp Ballistic Bridge sub base. I have used both 120 gr. of 2F Triple 7 and 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets with good results. I don't see why it wouldn't work well in a 1:48 twist either.

And don't overlook the Powerbelts. They are easy to load and very accurate with the right load. The 348 grain .50 caliber with 100 gr. of 2F Triple 7 is kind of a "standard" load out here.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:32 PM
bigcountry

Powerbelts in a 1 in 48 hawkin? Nope, I am the posterboy for the antipowerbelts movement. They took 30 dollars of my money and I hated them. Would shoot great below 90gr of powder.

Roskoe, you got to remember, this sucker will smack the crap out of you with 90gr of ffg Goex and 350gr maxihunter. A lot more felt recoil than any 150gr load I have used in my inlines. I don't think I want to try 100gr of fffg 777 with that big a conical. Not sure if it would handle that heavy a load.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

295 gr. Powerbelt
270 grain Buffalo Ballet HP @ thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com
245 grain """"""""""""""""" RN """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" "
240 gr. Hornady PA Conical @ hornady.com
Old 11-03-2005, 01:45 PM
bigcountry

Have you tried all these? Or just posting the ones you know about? Which one shot extremely well in your sidelocks or guns with 1 in 48 twist? Do you have simular experiences with maxihunters?

Old 11-03-2005, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Got a T/C hawkin 1 in 48 twist. Its not that accurate with 350gr maxihunters and goex. Maybe 2.5" groups at 25 yards and of course 4-5" at 50 yards. I have always used them in sidelocks cause my shots were never over 50 yards. But recently took a 60 yard shot.

But I have hit high with them before thru both lungs and have serious trouble finding an animal.

So this year, I want to improve on this gun. I got some 320gr and 370gr maxi balls.

Any more conicals anyone suggest. I know cayugad likes no excuses. But they look rather heavy for me and deer hunting.
I like tight groups with anything I shoot...was never able to get any better accuracy than yours with .50cal maxi-huntersin 1:48's.
(.45cal / 255grn maxi-hunters are tack drivers for me but not the .50's)

Hornady .50cal/385grn Great Plains bullets are extremely accurate in my .50cal 1:48's but I mainly use round balls now anyway.

FWIW, as a possible alternative the180grn Hornady lead ball is 100% provenon deer to 100yds...put it in the pump, orat least a double lung shot...my favorite deer load inTC Hawken 1:48" barrels:

90grns Goex 3F (or 100-120grns 2F or Pyrodex RS)
Oxyoke wonderwad
.018" TC prelubed pillow ticking
Hornady (or Speer) .490
Old 11-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

For what it is worth the maxiballs seem to have shot better out of ALL of my 48 twist rifles than the maxihunters. Both will kill anything in the lower 48 so go with the more accurate one. IMO

The REALs also shoot very well and would not shy away at all. The Ballets seem pretty good but I have not worked them enough to form a solid opinion like I have for the other bullets.

What a shame now you have to go shooting a bunch to see which works best!! LOL!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

For some reason, although I havetwo rifles that shoot heavy loads with maxiballs very accurately, neither does worth a hoot with the mxi-hunters.Since the Maxi-hunters are shorter than the Maxiballs in the same calibers and I'm using them inslow-twist barrels, I expected the Maxi-huners to thebetter shooting bullets. It turned outjust the oppositeof what I expected.....
Old 11-04-2005, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

Thanks guys for all the info. I have always found the same. Accuracy was never there for maxihunters.

But my knight wolvering shot them 4MOA at 100yards believe it or not with 95gr of pyrodex and a wad. But thats 1 in 28 twist.

Well I will try maxiballs.

Quick Reply: Maxihunter accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.