Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 No place to site in Muzzleloader >

No place to site in Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No place to site in Muzzleloader

Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 AM

Default No place to site in Muzzleloader

anyone know of a way besides bore siting which I've done already to insure a good shot without shooting it at a gun range? Memphis just closed down its last public shooting range this past year,, and all of the WMA's won;t allow siting uns in either...Now I haveNo-way to site my muzzleloader in,,, please help if you can,,,i need to make sure I hunt as safely and ethically as possible,,, Takeum
Old 11-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: No place to site in Muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: Takeum007

anyone know of a way besides bore siting which I've done already to insure a good shot without shooting it at a gun range? Memphis just closed down its last public shooting range this past year,, and all of the WMA's won;t allow siting uns in either...Now I haveNo-way to site my muzzleloader in,,, please help if you can,,,i need to make sure I hunt as safely and ethically as possible,,, Takeum
Takeum.. sounds like a good place to open a private pay as you go range. The bad news is there is no way you could take that rifle hunting ethically. Muzzleloaders, even bore sighted, will not guarantee that they are shooting where the are supposed to be. You need range time to work up a load. Determine what bullet will shoot best. And also figure out where that group is hitting in relation to the scope or sight.Granted you might be close, but you do not know that.

I would suggest looking for some private property that would allow you to shoot off your rifle and test some loads.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No place to site in Muzzleloader

Not sure what your laws are there but Squirrel hunting is open here in WV.
Can you go squirrel hunting with a ML on public land? Here in WV we can.
What if you squirrel hunted and sat 100 yards from a tree with a dot on it. And then you missed a few squirrels (wink). By the end of your hunting day you would know where your gun is hitting