Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How long do you let the barrel cool? >

How long do you let the barrel cool?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How long do you let the barrel cool?

Old 10-31-2005, 01:11 PM

Default How long do you let the barrel cool?

I was doing a little testing with my omega yesterday trying to determine what bullets to shoot. My first two shots with buffalo bullet sabots were less than an inch apart at 50 yards. I cleaned the barrel between shots and waited about 3-4 minutes between shots. I noticed the 3rd, 4th and 5th shots opened up several inches in every direction. I also tried the sabots that came with the gun and some break away sabots I was given. All shots were with 100 grains of loose pyrodex and there was no consistant grouping at all. In fact the break aways were so bad I wouldn't chance at a 50 yard shot at a deer.

I went and bought a box of 777 pellets and the 245 grain powerbelts. I had one powerbelt given to me and that loaded and shot great so I wanted to try more. I'm going to try two pellets and the powerbeltsWednesday morning and seehow they work out.

I'm not sure how long I should let the barrel cool between shots, how important is it for consistant groups?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How long do you let the barrel cool?

Normally after making my shot I open the breech. Then I swab the barrel out. I then set the unloaded rifle up and will often times walk down and check the target for the hit. After taking my time, I will grab the barrel and feel how hot it is.

Depending on the outside temperatures this can take several minutes. In the summer I've been known to take three rifles out and alternate between them giving everything time to cool.

Your sense of touch would be the best judge. But about five minutes should be plenty. I'm sure Triple Se7en would have a better suggestion since he shoots an Omega and is very knowledgeable about them.