Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 american pioneer powder >

american pioneer powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

american pioneer powder

Old 10-31-2005, 09:20 AM

Default american pioneer powder

i just tried some of this powder in ffg as im a gimmick geek and their claim of much cleaner burning seemed to be appealing. man let me tell you...this powder is the absolute best thing ive ever tried....cleaning my tc new englander took like 10 mintues. there is hardly no residue to begin with and what little there is cleans up with water....it takes about 65% less time to clean the barrel and nipple than it used too. and thats after leaving it for 3 days fouled!!!! with pyrodex or even triple 7 the damn thing would have been rusted up...if you can find it you need to give it a try. just wished i would have tried it in my inline instead of using the triple 7 pellets i had. as a benefit.....the gun shot great too.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: american pioneer powder

I've used it off and on for at least 10 years, starting in the days when it was named "CLEAN SHOT"! I hear that APP is also making 'PINNACLE" for GOEX, and that it is the same powder.

I don't know if this is true.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Goex Pinnacle is made by American Pioneer (says so on the can) It is different color however for what it is worth.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

flcracker,
Try some of the fff in APP.You'll love it!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a pound of the stuff also, but I still have about 80 shots remaining in the pound of Pyrodex I'm working on. I guess I'll have to wait until next deer season to give American Pioneer a try. One thing to tell for sure is that it is not as easy to obtain as Pyrodex is. I had to go out of my way to get the American Pioneer, as their is only one place near Roanoke that has it and that's the Hunters Den off of 311 in Catawba.

I'm new to muzzleloading and so far I've only fired 15 shots total. I'm just glad to live in a state that offers the hunting potential that VA does.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:06 PM

I really like it, I use rubbing alcohol on my patches, then a few dry and it really leaves barrl shinning. Bore butter patch, then it's put up until next season.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 AM

I use FFFg in it and I love it. Its finer than FFg and seems to burn better. Do a test with Pyrodex, Triple seven and Pioneer. Shoot each and swab the barrel between shots and look at the patches then you'll see why I love it. Jim Shockey even endorses it now.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I use FFFg in it and I love it. Its finer than FFg and seems to burn better. Do a test with Pyrodex, Triple seven and Pioneer. Shoot each and swab the barrel between shots and look at the patches then you'll see why I love it. Jim Shockey even endorses it now.
Have you noticed the moisture absorbing properties of American Pioneer Powder. People seem to hold that against the powder claiming it sucks moisture out of the air like a sponge in a lake. I've shot a lot of it, but never noticed the moisture problems, but then I never hunted with it.

I also agree, if you buy it get the 3f grade. The 2f is so course that it will not even pour out of a powder measure. It is like fish tank gravel. Right now I am shooting 3f Pinnacle. I like the powder a lot and have had some real good luck shooting it. If the load I am pushing will hold true, I might give it a try during our modern season. So far the stuff does not like heavy projectiles. Have you noticed that with APP?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:47 AM

I use 2F, no problems with it at all.............
Old 11-14-2005, 12:24 PM

I started with pyrodex, then went to clean shot, now I use 777 fffg. I think I am switching back to clean shot or whatever it is now. The 777 shoots good and I like the velocity, but it is NASTY when it is humid out! It gets all sticky and gummy. I never noticed that with clean shot. Just comes out in little white flakes.

Accuracy is good with all them for me though.

Paul

Quick Reply: american pioneer powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.