Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Count Down Begins

Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Count Down Begins

I am heading to Nashville, TN this weekend for a 4 day muzzle loader hunt. I will have access to hunt 2700 acres where I will be the only hunter on it. I will also have access to another 80 acres in Franklin and another 60 acres in another area that called Brandywine.

I'm taking a Knight Master Hunter II and I will be shooting 250gr Shockwaves with 2 50 grain 777 pellets.

Wish me luck.

Tom
Old 10-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Count Down Begins

good luck and hunt safe. It sounds like you have an excellent opportunity.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck, I was curious If you were on stand or walking around with all that land. Have you huntedI before.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted it before but I don't know it very well because it is so large. My friend who has lived on this propert know every nook and knows right where they are at. He is essentially my guide.

Tom
Old 10-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck and good hunting!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:52 PM

Good luck on the hunt statjunk. Keep us posted on the results. Hope you do better than I did this year.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I leave tomorrow. I am so excited. Last night I was talking with my cousin about all the spots we are going to hunt. I checked the weather report and it looks good. I am ready to go!

Tom
Old 11-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck and keep us posted. Heck the weather here in MO this weekend is topping at 75! Hope its cooler where your going. Our season starts next weekend the 12.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a good trip but the weather wasn't very ideal. I was heading out in the mornings to 60 degrees. I hunted mostly in t-shirt and jeans. The airline lost my luggage so I had to go to the local Wal-Mart and buy a camo outfit. At least it wasn't cold or I would have had to buy cold gear and that could have been expensive. They got my gear to me by Saturday night.

I took my first deer with a muzzle loader on Saturday night. It was a 70 yard shot quartering to me in a field. I shot it with a 250 grain Shockwave pushed by 100 grains of 777 pellets. I was pretty surprised that the exit wound wasn't larger. The bullet entered about even with the center of the shoulder about 2" behind the shoulder and exited through the guts. The exit wound was maybe the size of a 50 cent piece. The deer didn't even move when I shot him. I thought I had missed. He ran about 30 yards and fell over.

On Sunday night I saw a very large deer. It was about 200 yards away and the lights were getting dim. I made the rookie mistake of taking my scope off him to up the magnification. I couldn't find him again. It was a very large deer with a very big rack. Maybe next time.

Other than the weather it was a great trip.

Tom
Old 11-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on taking the deer. Shame about the airline loosing your stuff but no real surprise. I could never figure out how if they put your bags on the same plane as your on, how they can loose it.

200 yard shot in that low of light would have been risky at best, but is sure is nice to see big deer ... no matter what time of the day. At least you have a good hunt.