Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need some help on a new Gun >

Need some help on a new Gun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some help on a new Gun

Old 10-30-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Need some help on a new Gun

here is the deal guys I am in the market for 2 new ML's I am buying one for myslef and one for my dad, I wanna spend no more than 200 per gundo to me getting 2 thats a 400 hole in the pocket..thats all I can spend now what guns should I get we are both excellent shots and know our limitations, justlooking for the best gun for the money, if there is a place online to buy them or if you guys have links to guns thanksa million I would like to get them asap as I still have a little over a month to site them in...I would like a break actioninline, 209 primers aswell..thanks in advance
Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need some help on a new Gun

Try www.impactguns.com you can get a CVA Kodiak magnum .50 calblue barrel synthetic stock for 169.99. S/H for 2 ML's is 14.00 .Total price for 2 kodiaks is 353.98. Thats an inline 209 but has a pivot drop action. You can try www.dallastacticalsupplies.com they have NEF sidekicks 24 inchS/S barrel synthetic stock for 176.99 s/h for 2 ML's is 20.00.Total price for 2 NEF sidekicks is 373.98. I am sure others will comment on these 2 different guns.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:21 AM

thanks I need as much help as I can get, its tough to decide on cva's I likethen and there prices are very goodbeeing new to the sport hearing about the barrel problems some have had makes you leary but I also take it with a grain of salt, anything you guys recomend will be taken with more value about these guns..
Old 10-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Get the NEF Sidekick. It is the best value for you dollar. Also you will have a good solid rifle that will last you a life time...
Old 10-31-2005, 07:14 AM

about the NEF sidekick, I was reading that I might need to get extras after I buy the gun like Sidekick one-piece base for a scope mount, and a hammer extension, is this needid???is the breechplug as hard to get out as some say??I like the gun and how it looks, please any info would help I am gonna order something within a day or so I need to get out to the range soon.. one more quick question what would be a better barrel lenght? I have seen 24 and 26 used alot int the cheaper guns?? the one sidekick has a 24 and some 26 what is over all better???
Old 10-31-2005, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: y_not5

about the NEF sidekick, I was reading that I might need to get extras after I buy the gun like Sidekick one-piece base for a scope mount, and a hammer extension, is this needid???is the breechplug as hard to get out as some say??I like the gun and how it looks, please any info would help I am gonna order something within a day or so I need to get out to the range soon.. one more quick question what would be a better barrel lenght? I have seen 24 and 26 used alot int the cheaper guns?? the one sidekick has a 24 and some 26 what is over all better???
I've handled the rifle but do not own one. I have read so many good things about them that is the reason I recommend it. They have one of the best triggers I have heard, that people have ever shot. They also have outstanding out of the box accuracy. Also they have a good tested steel barrel. One you can feel safe with. If I had no inlines and wanted a inexpensive one, that is where I would look.

I could not tell you about the scope mount. The one thing I heard bad about them is the ramrod is a little lax. Get a range ramrod and use the rifle one for field loading. I never use the rifle ramrod except when hunting.

As for the breech plug being hard to get out, I do not see why. As long as it is well lubed with an anti seize it should be no worse then any other rifle. Also since it is right there in the open it would be much easier then most rifles, and easy to clean. NEF has been building break opens for years. They are part of Marlin rifles which has always been a great company.

As for barrel length, that will make a differnce only at extreme long ranges. I hunt with a Wolverine that has a 22" barrel and that rifle is accurate. If the Sidekick comes with a 24 inch then the Huntsman comes with a 26 inch. You probably will never miss the 2 inches unless your walking through the brush. Then you will be glad that the rifle has a shorter barrel.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only "extra" accessory for the NEF are the primer holders. Some folks like the feature because they also serve as a moisture barrier.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:11 AM

I really leaning to the sidekick now, how would it compare to the optima, I really like the sidekick for the money it looks like a much more pricy toy...while on the subject where can I pick up some good quality cheaper scope setups, I might aswell outfit it for my dad aswell???
Old 10-31-2005, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Go with the NEF. If you decide later on that you want to shoot smokeless powder there is a company that makes a smokeless barrel for the NEF. I am thinking about trying that after I get over the expense of my last purchase which was a flintlock. (Seems like I sure cover the whole range of muzzleloading since getting bit by the bug). Forgot to add: I have had good results with Simmons shotgun scopes on my muzzleloaders. I recommend using steel rings if possible or very strong aluminum ones with more than two retaining screws. I usually use a Weaver type rail mount.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I almost bought the NEF sidekick back in january whenthe wood/blue barrel one (26inches) was $109.00 and I think the S/S was about 40.00 more(they had some crazy sale that lasted about a week). I did some research on the sidekick its a really good gun for the money. The ramrod isn't great and you may want to replace it. If mounting a scope you will need the base and offset hammer spur-18.00 from NEF. TheNEF site is www.hr1871.com. I think that the ramrod has a different thread side for ML attachments therefore you may need an adaptor for cleaning accessories if you keep the present ramrod. There is no problem with the breech plug its the wrench that they give you to remove it thats junk so just use a socket and ratchet toget the breach plug out. You are probably wondering why I did not buy one well my friend gave me an omega s/s as a gift since he wanted me to go ML hunting with him. I myself bought a CVAkodiak .50 cal nickel barrel MOBUfrom www.midsouthshooterssupply.com for $99.00 when they had this one day sale back in may. Too bad you need the guns now as they have some great sales in january on a lot of the online sites. One last thing the NEF has only a one year warranty whereas the CVA has a lifetime warranty. If you want to read a write up on th NEF go to www.chuckhawks.com LIAF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.