Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Savage 10ML-10 or T/C Omega >

Savage 10ML-10 or T/C Omega

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Savage 10ML-10 or T/C Omega

Old 10-28-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Savage 10ML-10 or T/C Omega

Hey all I'm going to make a purchase in the near future (hopefully) and have narrowed my choices down to either the Savage 10ML-II or the T/C Omega. I'll be using this gun mainly for deer and elk.

I would love some feedback on which one is better or just some comments from those who own or have shot either of these rifles. I know they are both quality rifles and would be fine with either one, but some first hand info would be great.

I also plan to shoot a saboted round (either a shockwave or SST) with loose powder (maybe pellets) and I plan on putting a Bushnell Trophy 3-9 X 40 scope on it also. What height scope mounts should I put on low or med. I will not be using the fiber optic sights at all so see thru sight mounts are not needed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Savage 10ML-10 or T/C Omega

If I buy another muzzleloader, It is going to be an Omega. In my opinion, it is probably one the best guns out there. If they had come out with it the year I bought my Knight Bighorn, I would have an Omega now! I may still buy one yet. I'm just trying to justify to the wife why I need three muzzle loaders. I might ask cayugad to give me some pics of his collection. Maybe she won't feel so bad, if she knows she doesn't have the only husband that is a fanatic.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:19 PM

Getting it past the wife is definitely a trick for sure. LOL! This purchase will be tough enought when I already bought 4 muzzleloaders in the last year.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Post deleted upon readingfurther comments by the thread starter.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:23 PM

The only inline I own is the CVA Kodiak with the "pivot action" like the Omega. It is very easy to clean. What is the deal with a bolt action? I know there are more parts to clean and probably doesn't cap as easy as a pivot action. Anything else that I need to know about the bolt action?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can you shoot smokeless powder in the Ml season where you hunt? If so then go with the savage!!!! If not pick which ever one you like best& consider adding the TC encore to the list. If I could only shot BP or Subs in our ML season the Encore would be my pick purely based on personal preference and really like the feel of this rifle.

I don't own either but have shot them all a fair amount. All are fine choices.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:13 AM

This rifle will more than likely not be used during ML season. I'm getting this rifle strictly to be used during regular rifle season. My brother in law wants to hunt regular rifle season next year and try out his new 300 Win. Mag. I want to get a muzzleloader that can take the longer shot. The numbers that the Savage produces using smokless powder are hard to ignore. Another thing I'm not sure I care for on the Savage is the 24" barrel. Maybe it's ok when using smokless powder.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:05 AM

How do you like the kodiak gun??? been thinking of this one myself???
Old 10-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm getting this rifle strictly to be used during regular rifle season. My brother in law wants to hunt regular rifle season next year and try out his new 300 Win. Mag. I want to get a muzzleloader that can take the longer shot.
Based on this infoget theSAVAGE. I don't want to take anything away from the 2 TC's, they are excellent rifles. However the ability to harness the smokeless advantage of the Savage is undeniable. They are sweet shooting ML with a great trigger. They also shoot the subs well if you happen to want to use it in regular ML season.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to shoot smokeless, then there is no competition to the Savage ML-10. The Omega is not rated for smokeless powder. The closest ML competitor to the Savageis the Ultimate Firearm with it's 250 grain maximum capacity.

http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/

Quick Reply: Savage 10ML-10 or T/C Omega

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.