Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Still needing a little help >

Still needing a little help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Still needing a little help

Old 10-28-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Still needing a little help

Trying to sight in my CVA Kodiak Pro. Shooting 100gr of 777 with T/C 250 Gr shockwaves. Things go well for the first 5 shots then they are all over the place. I am swabbing with a 50/50 mix of washer fluid and dry patches between each shot. Pretty sure it is not me. Any suggestions???
Old 10-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Still needing a little help

Could be plastic fouling. I run a bore brush after 5 to 7 shots to get the plastic fouling out when shooting sabots. It usually feels like the bore is getting tight near the muzzle and then loosens up somewhat after 3 to 4 inches. Slides down like normal after that. I can still load with it like that but it does affect accuracy. Trybrushing that outand see if it helps.

Good luck and let us know.

BTW, the 250 SW is a great shooting bullet.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting too rapidly - causing the barrel to overheat? It doesn't take much to overheatyour soft extruded Spanish barrel.

Are you swabbing with a patched bore brush that removes groove/rifling crud easier than a jag?

I'm assuming you are using two pellets. Buy a pack of 30-grainers & mix them....trying 80, 90, 110 & 120 grains.

When all else fails..... switch powders (preferably loose)& bullets. The el-cheapo T/C Cheapshots fly real well & punch a nice hole. A couple of posters elsewherehave harvested deer with them beyond 200 yards.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:27 AM

Don't believe it is overheating, at least 7-10 minutes between shots. Will try the bore brush to see if that helps get rid of the errant shots. If not guess I will have to try a different bullet. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

after your five shots.. do an extra good job of swabbing the bore. A bore brush and perhaps a good solvent at this point. Then make sure the barrel is good and dry. It would be interesting to see what happens. Since your sure it is not the barrel over heating, this would be my guess also...
Old 10-29-2005, 10:55 AM

Practially speaking, I'm not sure I would care what the groups look like after 5 shots. You are almost always going to score with the first shot when hunting - if not the first, then the second. Five shots is enough to get a group and zero the rifle. It does sound likely thatplastic sabot residue is the culprit, though.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:04 PM

You right about 5 shots being more than enough, quess Iam just used to shooting with a rifle when it comes to sighting in. I will let you know after my next trip to the range. Should the bore brush be snug in the barrel?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: setter77

You right about 5 shots being more than enough, quess Iam just used to shooting with a rifle when it comes to sighting in. I will let you know after my next trip to the range. Should the bore brush be snug in the barrel?
They make bore brushes specifically for muzzleloaders. The easiest ones to find are the 50-cal brushes. I only use jags for loading the bullet. Take two ramrods with you to the range. One (jag ramrod)is for bullet-seating... the other (bore brush ramrod)for swabbing.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 AM

I bought a brass bore brush & cotton swab combo. The swap fits semi snug down the barrel but the brush is not even close to being snug, package said 50 cal. Just wondering if they were meant to be that way?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:53 AM

Wanted to thank all that posted some advice for me. Worked like a charm. Fired 10 shots, all were dead on the money, no strays. Thanks again.