Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 #11 Magnum caps in inlines? >

#11 Magnum caps in inlines?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#11 Magnum caps in inlines?

Old 10-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default #11 Magnum caps in inlines?

Elknut1 had some questions in the big game forum concerning elk hunting in ID with a ml. You can't use 209's there. Can you get an adapter for inlines to use #11's? Meanwhile, I pointed him in the direction of some traditional style ml's. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: #11 Magnum caps in inlines?

My Black Diamond XR and Knight Wolverine II both use #11 caps to fire them off. All you do is stay away from pellets. You can also get a musket cap nipple and use that which actually is hot enough to set pellets real well.

Knight also makes inlines like my Knight Disc which you then get a #11 adaptor and use the #11 instead of the 209 primers. The place I think you might have a problem is in the break open models. Also be sure and check to make sure that the inline does not require an exposed breech. Then the Knight Disc is no good. If I wanted an inline that could shoot #11 caps and still had an exposed breech go with the Knight Bighorn. It is the same thing as my Wolverine II in a magnum version with a longer barrel. They are just an excellent rifle to carry and to shoot. They are easy to take care of and meet all the requirements of the states like Idaho, Colorado, and Washington I believe...
Old 10-23-2005, 04:11 AM

charlie brown: A excellent no# 11 cap are the RWS 1075+
They are super hot cap and may be hard to locate but they work excellent if you can find them
Old 10-23-2005, 11:41 AM

Charlie Brown - I would recommend you give musket caps a hard look. I have two Black Diamonds; which come with nipples for 209's, #11's, or musket caps. I prefer the musket caps. Easier (for me) to get on/off the nipple. Pretty hot spark compared to #11's. I have soaked CCI and RWS musket caps in a cup of water for an hour, and they both went "bang".

If you have to use #11's, the RWS 1075 is the one. We tried the cup of water test with a number of regular caps,and the RWS was the only one that survived.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Any of the Thompson Center line of Hawkins or Renegades or the Lyman rifles would make a fine hunting rifle as well. Just because there are inlines that take a number #11 cap, do not overlook the traditional rifles. I have been shooting my Renegade with the new Stainless Steel Green Mountain 1-28 twist barrel and believe me, I think this will make a great shooting rifle. I have been shooting large conicals out of it so far and am real impressed with it...
Old 10-23-2005, 04:22 PM

I use musket caps in my remington and like them. They are esier to load and handle to me. Never had any trouble with them either. And I have used pyro pellets with them with no missfires.

I have a buddy that converted his Knight to 209' and actually doesn't like them. I thought about changing my remington and he not to bother. He thinks they are more of a PIA then they are worth. As far as can you just switch from one to the other I don't know. Most use a different firing pin. Like a Cap system use a cup and a primer would actually use a pin. Hence the conversion kits to switch a gun over.

My 700ML came with both both musket cap and #11 nipples.

I honestly don't know if you can currently buy an inline that takes regular caps anymore? I have not checked. All the new ones I have seen use a 209 primer. Like said above, he could go with a good side lock, or a used inline. In my opinion the only difference between a good side lock and an inline is the inline is easier to clean. They can both be very accurate.

Paul
Old 10-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys!!

Cayugad - I did list a lot of the current sidelock percussion guns out there for him to look into, providing that it was not possible to have inlines withough 209's. I will pass all of this information on to him as well.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Spike

I've always used CCI #11 Magnum caps on my Black Diamond and System One. Never had an ignition problem with either loose Pyrodex powder or Pyrodex pellets. However, I do favor loose powder and have done alot more shooting with it than with pellets.

I noticed the Black Diamond was more accurate with #11 caps than with Musket caps and, since the #11sgot the job done, stopped using the Musket caps.
Bob