Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Good Choice of Muzzle Loader >

Good Choice of Muzzle Loader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Choice of Muzzle Loader

Old 10-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good Choice of Muzzle Loader

Hey again,

I have a friend who I convinced should get into muzzle loading. I would like your suggestions for which muzzle loader he should get. It should be inline and fire a 209 primer. Other than that it should be fairly priced. Not cheap, just a good value for the money.

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-10-2005, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Good Choice of Muzzle Loader

Stainless steel omega with thumbhole stock
Old 10-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a .50 Knight Stainless Steel/Composite DISC that I highly recommend. It cost me $450 just for the MZ. The scope was an additional $300.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.dallastacticalsupplies.com/itemdetails.asp?itemid=NESPS050 for the experienced shooter or someone just getting into the sport, I think they would not go wrong with the NEF Sidekick. And for that price, it is a good deal. I have read some excellent reviews on the rifle, great trigger, excellent out of the box accuracy, very secure lock up at the break, the only bad thing I have read on them is the ramrod stinks... simple, get a range rod and use the rifle one for only loading in the field the one time after you shoot your deer and have to walk up to check it...
Old 10-11-2005, 09:24 AM

i have to agree with deer crazy, you cant go wrong with the omega
Old 10-11-2005, 10:47 AM

a stainless steel omega with the thumbhole stock is nice (what i have) but it's pricey

after the scope and other accessories you can drop ten franklins easy

Old 10-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

my vote would be for a breech action ML. Doesn't really matter what brand - go by price and other personal preverences. I switched to one from a bolt type and absolutely love it (I have a Rossi). They are very easy to clean and operate.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys,

My friend ended up buying a Winchester muzzle loader. I believe it is called the X-150. I thought it was really nice. 24" barrel blued, with a tapered palm, fluted barrel, and raised cheek. He paid $229 at Bass Pro.

What do you guys think?

Tom
Old 10-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I am sure the rifle will shoot fine.. but if I had $229.00 to spend on an inline muzzleloader it would not have been a Winchester X-150. I would have spent much less and got a Stainless Steel NEF Sidekick, or went on one of the auction sites and tried to geta Knight or Thompson Center. Also there are some good deals out there on different rifles, all you need do is look for them.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

It is "water over the dam" at this point. Since you asked for opinion anyway I agree with Cayugad. I hope your friend understands that the rifle he bought is a Spanish import and has nothing to do with Winchester other than the name. My opinion is that there are better rifles for less money.

Quick Reply: Good Choice of Muzzle Loader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.