Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need help from some Muzzleoader Hunters >

Need help from some Muzzleoader Hunters

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help from some Muzzleoader Hunters

Old 10-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need help from some Muzzleoader Hunters

A coworker of mine has invited me to go Muzzeloading for deer next month in NH. The thing is, I have never shot a muzzeloader, nor do I have the first clue about them. Well, I am going to be purchasing one very soon, but I don't know what to get. I would like to spend under $500, but I still want a quality gun that I will be able to use for years to come. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: Need help from some Muzzleoader Hunters

Couple quick questions: Is the $500 inclusive of a scope? I would first check state regs for muzzleloader requirements. Some have size and scope restrictions. As for the and quality and assuming a good scope and rings or about $150-200, and other $100 for misc pellets, sabots, cleaning supplies, you have $250 for that actualmuzzleloader. I think last month's issue of outdoor life listed several good guns. I have a CVA Optima, there new gun is getting some good reviews. While inexpensive, it has held up well and continues to shoot good. You can by a prettier guna dn one that may last longer. I was looking at a need for a 1 week season annually and did not want to spend a lot of money on a gun I may use 2-3 times per year.

For the money , I would go with a CVA Kodiak (I beleive that is the knock off knight) or Optima, add a Simmons Aetecand be good to go for years to come. I would also go with a 50 cal. The 45 is great, but it is not allowed in some western states for big game. If you ever plan to travel, buy the bigger cal now.Natchez Shooting supply ( do not have their websiteand Bearbasin.com usually have Aetecs for about $120-$150. If you find that you will not need all the supplies, then spend more on the gun. Others may tell you to shoot open sights and buy a scope later. I am a firm beleiver that you can not shoot what you can not see. A scope is ahuge asset. If you are going to pay to hunt out of state, make sure you have a scope that will let you shoot to your guns ability. If you find that you enjoy it, save your pennies and upgrade your gun in a few years. The inovations that muzzle loading has realized over the last few years is incredible.

Some of my friends have had good luck with both Knight and Remingtons too. The TC oncore is always a favorite. I have just found that both knight and TC are more money than I was originally willing to spend.

Good Luck

Old 10-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep check your regs.Can you use a inline ? Scope ? I love my Thompson Omega. Shoots like a gem.Easy to clean. Accurate as a 06
Old 10-05-2005, 10:16 AM

I think for 500 you should be able to get a nice ML easily. Unless you want top of the line with an expensive scope. I would stay away from the ones that come packaged with a scope. The scope will most likely not be very good.

I agree, check your regs to see what is legal. If you can use an inline I would look for a mid priced one in 50 cal. Knights are pretty good, as are the omega's. I also like the break open designs like H&R's and simular. Also if you have a mossberg 500 or a H&R/Nef you can get barrels to fit them.

Then if you can use a scope in your area top it off with a bushnell Trophy series or something simular. More expensive if you can afford it.

Paul
Old 10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

NEF huntsman, 160 or so in cabelas. Plenty of cash left for scope, supplies, etc.

NH has no restrictions on scopes or bullets, as long as the gun is .45 cal or over.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

here in new york until this year are ml season was only a few days. a few years ago gander mountain had a traditions ml for $90.00. so i bought 1 to try it. im very happy with it so far. i put a bushnell scope on it for $120 with rings. with eccesories i prob have 300 or so into it. yes its not top of the line. but im killin deer with it. i also find myself using more and more while treestand hunting during shotgun season here.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:31 PM

Don't be afraid to get a used one either. I bought a used Remington 700 ML and it works fine.

I would not be overly concerned about if the gun can shoot magnum loads either. Most don't shoot them any way. Most guns seem to be more accurate between 80 and 100 grns of powder.

Paul
Old 10-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

$500.00 Well that's easy. MidSouth Shooter's Supply http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/is selling a Thompson Center Omega Z5 for $299.00. Figure another $35.00 for rings and bases. A Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn Scope for $75.00 and your a $409.00 approximately. Add $11.00 for shipping. and you still have $80.00 to purchase, powder, projectiles, and some accessories. You also have a rifle that will do it all.

If you wanted to stay less then that http://www.dallastacticalsupplies.com/itemdetails.asp?itemid=NESPS050 Dallas Tactical Supply has a NEF Sidekick Stainless Steel for $176.99 again, you add the rings, bases, and scope and your around $300.00 and that leaves you around $200.00 for the powder, projectiles, and accessories.

If this was just for a few more days of hunting every year, then I might go with the second one. If you intend to really get into the sport, then the first one might be a better choice. Both of them are good rifles, will shoot excellent, and get the job done for you.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Thompson Omega Z5......less than $300.........Tradations Pursuit LT....around $200.....get .50 Caliber, 348 grain Powerbelt bullets and Triple 7 Pellets....use 2...........Remington ML 209 Primers.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Thompson Omega..... American made. Need I say more?

Quick Reply: Need help from some Muzzleoader Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.