Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

3-in-1 oil

Old 09-18-2005, 05:37 PM

Default 3-in-1 oil

what are your thoughts on this oil for your MLs
Old 09-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 3-in-1 oil

I've used it in a pinch, but I think there is better oils out there...
Old 09-18-2005, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: RAKTRAKR

Depends on whereyou mean to use it...petroleum based oils used in the bore promote fouling so I wouldn'tuse any in there...but 3-in-1 oil would probably be fine for the lock internals...I happen to use a few drops of Rem-Oil myself
Old 09-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun oils are not expensive. I prefer the spray bottles. Buy one that says "prevent rust"... not the ones that say "inhibits rust".
Old 09-18-2005, 08:16 PM

enough said! I've been going through some of y'alls posts about cleaning your MLs and the effects of borebutter,and decided to pull mine out and give'm a good cleaning again. I used the Birchwood/Casey 2 in 1 for the first time and I couldnt beleive the gunk still in the barrel. Anyway, I went formy bottleRem oil and couldnt find it nowhere so Ihad to settle forthe 3in1
Old 09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It'll work in a pinch. Check it in a couple of days... then a couple of weeks. Wally-World sells the small spray cans of Breakfree CLP. That's one of three I use. Others are Rem-Oil with Teflon and Birchwood-Casey Sheath.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

enough said! I've been going through some of y'alls posts about cleaning your MLs and the effects of borebutter,and decided to pull mine out and give'm a good cleaning again. I used the Birchwood/Casey 2 in 1 for the first time and I couldnt beleive the gunk still in the barrel. Anyway, I went formy bottleRem oil and couldnt find it nowhere so Ihad to settle forthe 3in1
I once did that to a friend's muzzleloader. He was over to the house and we were going to shoot ourrifles. I was running a solvent patch down the barrel of my sidelock to remove the oil and such and then ran an alcohol patch while he watched me with great interest. I asked him when he cleaned his rifle last because I had noticed that there was still fowling around the nipple/bolster area. He insisted he had cleaned it a couple days prior to that. Just joking with him I asked if I could check. He replied, go ahead, your not going to find anything. I took a patch and put Butch's Bore Shine on it and scrubbed his bore with one patch. That patch came up with more fowling then even I expected. The look on his face was priceless. He then began to explain that he had given it a good soap and water bath, and that the patches were clean coming through the bath. We ran a few more solvent patches and it still brought up some fowling. Finally I ran an alcohol patch through it and we popped caps getting ready to shoot.

After we shot, he wanted to clean rifles at my house, so I got out the hot water and soap and we washed the fowling out of the barrel. He then thought we were done until I started in with some solvent patches and a bore brush. You might say, he never cleaned his rifle likethat in the past, but he does now...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:20 AM

a good hot water bath and bore brush with TCs #13 bore cleaner is what i was using and the patches came out clean just like you mentioned. Now I'm wondering if this is the reason I'm not getting the accuracy I want.
I'm real particular about my guns and I cant believe this has gotten by me
Old 09-19-2005, 10:37 AM

Raktrakr - I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking about how often to clean a ML with rifle solvent and which solvent folks liked. I received some very good suggestions as to the recommended solvents including: Butch's Bore Shine and Tetra Copper Solvent to name a couple. Many folks posted that they clean their MLs starting with the typical water bath followed by a good rifle solvent.

After feeling that accuracy with slowly deteriorating in one of my MLs that I've had for the last 10 years (and only gave water baths to), I decided to order some Sweet's 7.62, Tetra Copper Solvent, Kroil, and CR-10 from MidSouth Shooting Supplies. Yeah, I know, why the heck did I order so much stuff that essentially does the same thing? Well, I've only used Shooter's Choice and Hoppes and thought that this was my time to experiment with some stronger "modern day" solvents.

The results? Stunning. I took the "clean" ML and proceeded to scrub the bore with a soaked patch of the Tetra stuff and was AMAZED at how much crud came out. I've been shooting sabots 99% of the time out of this ML so I suspected that most of the crub was imbedded plastic. I followed this with a strong cleaning of Sweet's which almost made me pass out the smell was so strong. Again, fouling kept coming out of the barrel. I then left some Tetra in overnight as the directions suggested. Lastly, I flushed the bore with Kroil to neutralize the affects of the amonia based solvents. Man's these solvents are nasty!

In brief, don't make the mistake I did and assume that just because you are cleaning with hot soapy water the barrel must be clean. Because if you're shooting sabots...it probably ain't !!! Good shootin'

-Hunter John
Old 09-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK for moving lock/trigger parts, but NOT in a bore - use Birchwood-Casey Sheath as a bore preservative......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.