Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Optima Pro, 50 cal. Nickle MO BU >

CVA Optima Pro, 50 cal. Nickle MO BU

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima Pro, 50 cal. Nickle MO BU

Old 09-12-2005, 06:09 PM

Default CVA Optima Pro, 50 cal. Nickle MO BU

CVA OptimaPro 209 Magnum Muzzleloader. .50 cal. Nickle
29 “ fluted, maximum velocity barrel. Mossy Oak BUcamo. stock 1-in-28” twist.

Anyone have one? Curious on:

1. Favorite loads, bullet, bullet weight, powder type, powder weight

2. Accuracy

3. Scoping Issues?

4. Anything else you can think of.

Thanks....great FORUM!!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:30 PM

Default RE: CVA Optima Pro, 50 cal. Nickle MO BU

I've got the regular optima, and am satisfied with it, except for the trigger. It's not real crisp, but I can live with it. My favorite load is the 245 grain powerbelt and 2 50 grain pellets of pyrodex. It's the first loadI tried and the last! It performed really well. I've yet to test it at 100 yards, but will in the nearfuture. As for scope you will have to get a set of raised or see-thru mounts, as regular mounts will not clear the hammer enough to allow for cocking with gloves.

I am waiting for the new Optima Elite to make it's debut. It is CVA's version of theEncore. It will allow for shotgun, rifle, and blackpowder barrels.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:40 PM

Optima - 26" barrel
Powder - Triple Seven FFG - 90 grains (2 - 50g pellets of T-7 as an alternate)
Primer - Win 209
Bullet - Thompson Center Shockwave 250g
Scope mounts - Leupold quick release
Scope - Leupold VXII 3x9x40
Results - One big ragged 3-shothole at 100 yds, and four deer that never made it farther than 40 yards after impact.

I have tried numerous other projectiles and powder chargeswithmy optima - including powerbelts of 240g, and 295g with marginal (5" groups) results at 100 yds. The powerbelt 295g hollowpoint with 2-50g T-7 pellets is my second "in the field backup" shot, but I've never had to use it. The hornandy xtp 300g grouped about 3" at 100 yards with 2-50g pellets, but once I tried the shockwaves, my search for the "master load" was over.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:47 PM

but once I tried the shockwaves, my search for the "master load" was over.
Well, I got back from Wally's World and bought:

(3) 30 packs of T/C 50 cal/250grain Shockwaves (yellow tip)

(2) 3-way quickloaders

I should get my New Optima by Fri. I have a Silver Leupold Vari-X II Compact 3X-9X

What I couldn't figure out was that Wally's WOrld was selling (100) 777 50/50 Pellest for $34???

One of my local gun/bow shops sells them for $23.95!!! I'll be going there at lunch tomorrow.

Also, should I even bother with trying 130 grain loads with the 29" barrel??

(2) 50 gr. pelletsand (1) 30 gr. pellet

Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally would go with the loose powder but that is a preference. Many people have excellent results with pellets. As for the Shockwaves, they should shoot well. Be sure and swab the barrel between shots and use a witness mark to make sure you are not short loading to a crud ring...

Good luck with your rifle. Sounds like a nice set up.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:58 PM

Thanks.

About this "crud ring", I have had experience in the past with 777 loose powder in my T/C 45 Hawken, any possible solutions, aside from the rudimentary swab between shots.

By the way, I just made up some 50/50 Alcohol/Windex solution...sounds like a great idea. Put it in a 2 oz. lens cleaner spray bottle.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Usually a simple swabbing will remove the crud ring. If not put a damppatch on a bore brush and scrub the barrel with that. You might not even experience a crud ring in your rifle. Some people swab their barrels using a bore brush instead of a loading jag and patch.

I use a 2 oz eye glass spritz bottle also to carry my mix. It fits in my possible bag real nice and with a few patches I can handle a day's shooting out of it. I also have a bottle in an old tarter sauce bottle under the shooting bench in case I forget my little bottle... And I have another bottle in the gun cleaning room where I use it to take the majority of the fowling out of the barrel when I clean the rifle. The nice thing about that swab solution is the cost. You do not mind using it up...
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 PM

It wouldn't hurt to try the 130gr 777 pellet load, in fact, that's what my optima shoots the most accurate with with 250gr shockwaves too as well.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:37 AM

Just got it in the mail yesterday!

Today the Leupold Compact Silver 3X-9X should be arriving. I have some of the the Remington Kleenbore 209 primers, but I have seen some talk about this 25ACP conversion.

Good or bad? worth it?

Also, I will be shooting (2) 777 50gr. pellets (1) 250gr. T/C Shockwave with a T/C?sabot.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:08 PM

I just got done installing a Compact Silver Leupold Vari-X II 3x-9x-33mm scope on Weaver bases and Nickle Warne Maxima Rings. Too bad it's raining outside OR I'd be making some SMOKE!!
Oh well, I must wait until tomorrow morning, I have some T/C 250 gr. Shockwaves and 777 pellets, we'll see what SHE does!!

Quick Reply: CVA Optima Pro, 50 cal. Nickle MO BU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.