Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Best modern muzzleloader for long range deer >

Best modern muzzleloader for long range deer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best modern muzzleloader for long range deer

Old 09-30-2002, 06:03 AM

Default Best modern muzzleloader for long range deer

What is best muzzleloader for long range deer hunting in price range below $600
Old 09-30-2002, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best modern muzzleloader for long range deer

The .45's have somewhat flatter trajectories than the larger bores. However, accuracy is very important, and it is pretty much of an individual thing. For long range shooting, you need a fast-twist barrel, and should shoot conical or sabot projectiles to get the power and flat trajectory you neeed at the longer ranges. Traditions, CVA's, Austin & Halleck, Knight, TC, White, and perhaps other in-line rifles can be very accurate, but some of these same makes rifles can also be less accurate than what you need. You have to get one, and test a variety of different kinds of powder and projectiles to optimize the performance of an individual gun!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 09-30-2002, 08:59 AM

I don't think you can get a muzzleloader any better for long range than the Savage ones that shoot smokeless powder. Up to 2400 Fps at the barrel and over 3000 ft pounds of energy. Guys are talking results as good as a 10 inch drop at 300 yards! I know my thunderhawk or any other normal blackpowder rifle will not shoot distances like that...
Old 09-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think they are all pretty good, hard top pick a brand name & opinion will always vary. I own a 700MLS and I think it as accurate as any of the other manufacturer's some of my pals use (Knight, TC, Traditions, etc). It boils down to the load, shooter and practice. An oldtimer at the range talked of how he will shoot deer with his Kentucky Long Rifle out to 300 no problem. This guy could shoot, he was hitting shotgun shells with round ball and patch at 100 yards, everytime with a flint lock!

I say buy the one that fits you best and just practice, practice and practice some more! Also found experimenting with different bullet, gr and charges will find the best shooter...again opinions are wide on what is the best load to shoot but always comes back to what you find is best....then use it and show off the results.

Edited by - Skeeter 7mm on 09/30/2002 13:47:01
Old 09-30-2002, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to agree with skeeter 7mm.I have a CVA sidelock,TC and Knight 45.All will knock your nose off at 100 yrds.You need to play with loads,bullets until you get the range and knock down power your lookin for at any given range.I do however "Love" my Knight 45.

IMO it has much more to do with that "sweet load"(powder,bullet combo)than brand name.It might take you a couple years in the field to obtain.Later AL

Old 10-01-2002, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

For a long range deer hunting ML, it has to be the Savage 10ML-II, hands down. With smokeless powders, such as Hodgdon Lil Gun, with Hornady .452 250gr XTP's, you can easily get 2,400 FPS and if you fine tune that load you can get up to 2,600 FPS. At 2,400 FPS you still generate more FPE at 100yds than one of those super .45 cal do at muzzle. At 300yds you are still over 1,000 FPE to take a deer down cleanly.

Old 10-07-2002, 04:05 PM

The only answer is all that are currently made today and yesterday. The important element is your bullet and powder combo, get both right for the rifle and you will get the awsome group at 100, 150 or even 200 yards if you want.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found out that my Knight DISC .50 with the 24" barrel, shooting 100grains Triple 7 3Fg and a PR .40 QT 235gr sabots will shoot a 3" group off the bench at 150 yards. I never thought I'd ever try shooting out that far with a muzzleloader, let alone hit anything. I still don't think I'd take any shot past 100 yards unless I was absolutely certain of my shot. The Knight is definately more accurate than I am.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot the Thompson Center Omega, but with the long barrel and 209 cap, it should shoot as far as any blackpowder rifle. I don't know anything about the smokeless rifles. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Best modern muzzleloader for long range deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.