Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Winchester WML209 Primers >

Winchester WML209 Primers

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester WML209 Primers

Old 08-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Winchester WML209 Primers

Well Tahq.. I have to agree. I was sure mad at the time. The more I thought about it, maybe the 209 nipple was due for a change. I'd hate to even guess how many roundshave went through the rifle. I also noticed before, the more I shot, the less tension on the 209 primers. In fact towards the end of the shooting session before, if you held the rifle, muzzle pointed to the sky, the 209 might fall out.

That might explain why the 209 primers were blowing up also. There was just nothing to hold them together anymore. When the new 209 nipple comes in, I will shoot them again and see if they do the same thing all over again.

I want to shoot them in the CVA. That has that solid breech plug. That little rifle might be a inexpensive rifle, but the action and such is built like a little tank. Real solid rifle..
Old 08-24-2005, 10:00 AM
bigcountry

This is the primer I use all the time. I tried CCI and federal but these produced the best results. That stinks about your breech plug, but like you, doesn't seem right.

How many did you fire thru your gun? Is this a new pack? Just wondering if you believe its an isolated incident.

It really does a number on my red dics for my knights.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I put 25 rounds through the Black Diamond yesterday. These things were blowing up all over the place with chunks landing who knows where. It could be that since the 209 nipple was old it finally gave out and that then, since there was no pressure on the primer itself, it allowed it to explode. When I shoot them in my CVA I will have a better idea.

I just ordered a new breech plug and 209 nipple for the Black Diamond XR. I figure it is a good idea to have a spare around anyway....
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 AM

Wow,
Almost sounds like a bad batch of primers.

While I understand totally different guns are involved, I've been using them in my Encore for two years and have not had any experience such as this. Found them to be reliable.

I don't normally reload shotgun shells, but a temporary foray into 777 and shotgun shells has caused me to play around with them. Up front, I reload more handgun rounds than you can believe, but don't have experience w/ shotgun reloads or primers. I can just say that in a 12 gauge shell w/ 777 these primers work great. I know you can get them cheaper by buying standard 209 primers, but I had these already so gave them a chance.
R
Hank
Old 08-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

That's what the box of them looks like when you see it in a store. On another forum someone claims they are nothing but the same Winchester W209 primers in a different box. I always shoot the W209 and never had them act like that...
Old 08-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

I just can't believe they build these guns to use standard 209 primers and some how we have to buy special ones for m/l. Get this also, does Winchester actually make a m/l? Does Remington still make one? What the heck do they know about these things that we don't?

Sorry I have shot standard 209 primers for over 5 years with no peoblems and will continue to do so unless T/C come out with some note telling me to do elsewise.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:27 PM

I just opened the new box I bought today and compared to the old boxI've got, they look "cheap"! The quality of these things look like they were made Friday at 4:45! If it wasnt so late I'd run outside right now and pop a few off just to see the results
Old 08-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just ordered a new box of primers myself.... Federal 209's....1000ct =26$..
Old 08-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

$26 a box is kinda steep do you like these primers a lot? Or is it you are paying the hazard shipping thing? I can buy the federal's for about $20 a box but thought the price was a bit high. The W209's shoot fine do you like those better?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pitts,

I believe you may be mistaken. If not where are you getting them for 20$ a box?

I would be extremely surprised ifyour local dealers regular price was lower than a national online retailer like Midsouth. That just doesn't make logical business sense to me.
Federal 209a primers....
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00129209A

Quick Reply: Winchester WML209 Primers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.