Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need help choosing an in-line muzzleloader >

Need help choosing an in-line muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help choosing an in-line muzzleloader

Old 08-22-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Need help choosing an in-line muzzleloader

I'm looking for a 50 cal. inline rifle, accurate, easy to clean, and affordable. I guess you coulde say " I want my cake and eat it too!" Some that I've looked at were the H&R Sidekick, Traditions Pro, Knight Revolution/ Vision and the T/C Omega.

I've read many good and bad reviews on most all the weapons I've researched. Since I have no knowledge on M/L, I need help.

The weapon will be used for hunting whitetailed deer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:30 AM

Default RE: Need help choosing an in-line muzzleloader

Looking for a .50 caliber inline eh? My first choice would be a Knight Revolution or Vision because they are the most accurate inline muzzleloaders on the market - even though they are a little pricey [&o]. But you pay more money for better quality guns.Besides - Knight has won 6 championships in a row. If you want to shoot 200+ yards a nice Leupold3-9x40mm scope for $199.99would be nice (if you want to spend the money, that is). It all depends on your paycheck. If you want to spendsome money on an excellent muzzleloader- get a Knight.
I personally have a Knight DISC .50 caliber inline (stainless steal). I use 110 grains of Triple 7 gunpowder pellets and a 240 grain T/C XTPhollow pointbullet. I also have a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40mm scope mounted on it. This gun works like a dream...I also hunt whitetailed deer in Ohio.

Good luck choosing and happy hunting
Old 08-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: abaron

I'm looking for a 50 cal. inline rifle, accurate, easy to clean, and affordable. I guess you coulde say " I want my cake and eat it too!" Some that I've looked at were the H&R Sidekick, Traditions Pro, Knight Revolution/ Vision and the T/C Omega.

I've read many good and bad reviews on most all the weapons I've researched. Since I have no knowledge on M/L, I need help.

The weapon will be used for hunting whitetailed deer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
All of them are great rifles. If all your shooting is going to be 100 yards or less, any of them will work just fine. If you have a chance to do some long range shooting then you might want to slow down and consider some of them closer.

The Knight Vision is new. It will be hitting the stores any day now. I make it a point never to purchase a new production model until they have all the bugs and ticks tuned out of them. Who knows, maybe this rifle will not have any flaws. But I would rather wait and see.

Of all of them mentioned, I would go after the Thompson Center Omega. Not just because I am a Thompson Center fan. I have Knight rifles and they are a great rifle without a doubt. I was handling an Omega today for the first time in a long time. This one has the thumbhole stock. The balance of that rifle was excellent. It came to the shoulder and just hung there. The fiber optic sights are almost too good to put a scope over. I will say it was a little light, and I know that light rifles can kick. But since I have not shot one, I will not comment on their recoil without first hand experience.

The Knight Revolution is a nice rifle without doubt. I never shot one, but it is a Knight and their standards of quality is second to none. If it is not right, they will make it right. That is the beauty of owning a quality firearm.

I have heard a lot of good things about a H&R Sidekick. I've shot different caliber H&R's over the years. They are not fancy, but they are a meat and potatoes gun. They normally shoot very well and do what they are designed to do.

I have had the pleasure of shooting a Traditions Pursuit Pro and I have to say I liked the rifle. The balance and the trigger were all excellent. I only shot it a couple times but overall it was a very nice rifle to shoot and if money were the main issue I would not hesitate to purchase one. If money was not the main issue, then it would be the Omega..
Old 08-22-2005, 03:28 PM

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976487574.htm
Here a great deal,and don't forget there warranty is the best
Old 08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Spike

Abaron -

I went through the same thing you are going through. I chose to go with the T/C Omega in stainless and black synthetic. I finally got to the range today, and I am VERY pleased. The gun is light, well balanced, easy to load and shoot, accurate, and extremely easy to clean.

Although I have not had "hands on" with some of the others you mention, I would still heartily recommend the Omega...
Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Abaron,
Welcome! Glad to see you made it here!
Any of the rifles you mentioned will serve well.

I have the Omega and it's an excellent ML. I started with the Blued/Synthetic stock because of a great deal NIB. I added a Laminated Thumbhole Stock and a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36. It's a serious hunting weapon and I love it.

I think for the value, handling and balance, it's pretty hard not to seriously consider the T/C Omega, Knight Wolverine or Eliteand Traditions Pursuit Pro.

Not arguing but, I would not say that the Knight Vision or Revolution are the most accurate on the market. No one has fired a retail sold Vision to date, so how can it be deemed the most accurate?

The Revolution is a well made and shooting rifle, but it too had some rough going initially with blow back. Personally, I don't care for the "wrist" of the Knight Revolution. Positions my hand and wrist at a really odd and uncomfortable angle for me as far as a shooting and handling positions.

But hey, if you end up liking it, then that's all that really matters. It's a fine weapon.

Also, just for comparison take a look at the T/C Encore, Knight Extreme/Elite, White Super 91 or 98 and Savage 10MLII.

Get your hands on to closely inspect and shoulder as many different styles and types of ML's as you can. Might take a few calls to locals shops and retailers to see who has what and then start getting your hands on them.

Look at used ML's just to see what you like. You may be able to shoulder a used model to get the "feel" and if you end up liking, then shop for a new version. Or that used model in great shape might just fit the bill and save you a few bucks along the way.

The point is, you are the one that needs to carry it so might as well be comfortable. Otherwise then you will have to settle with something you did not shoulder and you need to consider that you might not really like it. Which will leave you eventually shopping for something else.

For the most ease, the break action and drop action ML's are the thing. But don't overlook some of the older designs as well such as the plunger or bolt styles if new or in excellent used condition.

The older designs are not really any more difficult to care for if you are doing it correctly once you get your maintenance and care routine ironed out.

I've got an Knight MK-85 50 cal in walnut that I've had for 20 years and you could not pry it away from me. It shoots the #11 cap and is arguably one of if not the most accurate ML I own and I own many.

Lots of options out there.

I would forget budget at the moment and boil things down to what feels the best for you. Then factor your research against what you like. Then apply your budget considerations. You budget may limit the ML you end up with, but at least you will have thoroughly inspected as many types as you could and will be happier in the long run with your selection.

Stainless ,Nickel or Blued? Depends on your budget. Stainless and Nickel are not really required if you properly care for your weapons.

Also, Stainless and Nickel will not save your weapon from poor care and/or neglect. Up to you. Nothing I own is in stainless and nothing I own has any rust either. I put the stainless costs towards optics, which by the way should be the best you can afford in my view.

Good luck and start getting your hands on some rifles! Use the search utility here and search for the models you are interested in. This will help flush out any caveat's or issues with models you have selected.

Ask lots of questions. Lots of really knowledgeable folks here.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Couple of things that I think did not get mentioned: Knight rifles use a plastic thing that holds the primer. This gimmic does not set well with me although it works great if you plan to submerge your rifle before each shot. Others have the same thing like one of the break action (Might be the NEF??). If I have to carry another thing with my primers like the plastic holder that has to be used and replaced from time to time I find that not to my liking. (Sorry Knight owners just my opinion). I have an Omega and some of the T/C rifles are picky about what sabots they will shoot as the barrels are usually pretty tight (makes shots accurate but something to deal with). I personally would buy the Omega again. If you want a switch barrel gun the T/C Encore is a nice one but feels funny in my hands. CVA has a new one out that also allows barrel switching from BP to smokeless. If your state allows smokeless powder you might consider a Savage. I do not have a Savage BP but the other Savage rifles I have are great. If I could use smokeless in a muzzleloader I would hunt with a Savage. Stainless is nice and that is what I buy.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:11 PM

choosing a gun is like buying a pair of shoes,you got to get one that fills good in your hands. I have 12 most were handed down to me from my aunt after my uncle passed away. I bought a few tc rifles,a white mountain carbin a renagade and a hawken cougar. The little white mountain shoots like a dream.But in 91 i got my hands on a inline knight mk 85 in 50 cal. A few years ago i got the 209 conversion. I used 90 gr. of loose powder and 200 gr. hollowpoints never lost a deer but about 3 years ago we started seeing wild hogs so i started using a 300gr speer plated softpoint with 130 grs of 777 .With that load it kicks a little but i get complete pass throughs. The last hog i shot was a little over 70 yards ,i hit it in the side of the head right under the eye,it spun it around and fliped it at the same time.The only thing i don't like on the omegs is the trigger guard it kinda hurts your back. I think i payed $600. for the mk85 and i wouldn't take $700 for it. If you can live with the trigger guard the omega is a very good gun after you get it broke in. If you can find a mk85 buy it.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

I would look for fit and feel before buying because most of the rifles made today can take down any whitetail that is alive. I would also check trigger pull on any rifle I that I consider a "capital investment". (Something that will be around a long time and you use a lot)

It is of course better to have a well made rifle with a great warrantee but if you don't feel good shooting it what good is it?

T/C makes great arms so does Knight. Many other rifles are made fine as well. If you get a chance to look at MDM m/l they seem fine as well.

The next rifle I hope to buy is made by Traditions a .32 for small game hunting that is a beautiful rifle. I would buy one of their inlines if I needed another one as well. Same with CVA great rifles at a fair price.

So even though I am a T/C man I think all rifles on the market today are just fine and you should not be dissapointed with what you buy. Just remember to check the trigger as well as the feel of the rifle before buying.

A final note after you get it home and have a couple bad days at the range don't dispair it takes a half dozen or so trips to get everything worked out. You know loads the rifle likes, cleaning methodes and all.

Good luck and happy hunting!!