Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditional Shooters..  favorite projectile >

Traditional Shooters.. favorite projectile

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditional Shooters.. favorite projectile

Old 08-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Traditional Shooters.. favorite projectile

We see a lot of what the inline shooters like but little of what the traditional shooters are using. Deer season is coming. What are you going to be shooting at them?

Flintlock- T/C Hawkins .50 caliber 90 grains of Goex 3f and a moosemilk patched roundball.

Flintlock- Lyman Trade Rifle .54 caliber 100 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball

Cap lock- T/C Renegade .58 caliber 100 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball

Cap lock- T/C Renegade .62 caliber smoothbore 80 grains Goex 3f 324 grain patched roundball

Those will be the rifles I will be using most of the time. An inline might make its way out on the field once in a while.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Traditional Shooters.. favorite projectile

Shoot patched roundball and the 325gr REAL bullet thru my .50 Lyman. Will start our Sept. 10-23 season with patched ball and 70grs. of 2f Swiss or Graf. Haven't decided which powder yet...they both shoot fine. With the REAL bullet I shoot 80grs. of 2f Swiss.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:42 PM

Flintlocks and patched round balls...planning to hunt one area inOctober with a .45cal, andanother areain November with a .58cal
Old 08-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Spike

Here in Colorado,since I drew a cow tag.I will use my T/C Hawken .54 with 90gr.777 / wonder wad / 365 gr.Maxi Ball.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

For target with guns that are a 48 twist or slower patched roundballs are accuate and a joy to shoot. In the field I have always used conicals but I am not sure which one to use yet in my 50 EXPRESS. The old CVA is loving the REAL's I got from Blackjack and I will get some more before deer season as my youngest wants to hunt with the CVA.

To be honest I only hunt public land and get very little time to scout. I would love to bag a deer with my new rifle but I will not handycap myself. I will use my Scout or Encore unless I know I have a good opertunaty to see plenty of game where I hunt this year. I will also use the EXPRESS in woods that having a scope is not pratical.

The only problem I have with the roundball for hunting around here is the woods are very dense and there is a good chance of hitting branches or twigs on the way to the target so using the conicals give you better odds of hitting where you shot.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: sam52

Here in Colorado,since I drew a cow tag.I will use my T/C Hawken .54 with 90gr.777 / wonder wad / 365 gr.Maxi Ball.
Good luck in your hunt. Make sure to update us on your results. That is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I personally would use my .58 caliber Renegade with a 1:70 twist shooting a roundball. I really think that would be an exciting hunt.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:50 AM

I also drew a cow and a doe tag and I'm going to be using my Lyman GPR .54 cal. with 90 gr. 2F Goex with a PRB. I may also take out my CVA Kodiak .50 cal. with 100 gr. Pyrodex RS and a 348 Powerbelt Aerotip. Should be a great time. I'll keep you all posted. Good luck all.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Finaddict

I also drew a cow and a doe tag and I'm going to be using my Lyman GPR .54 cal. with 90 gr. 2F Goex with a PRB. I may also take out my CVA Kodiak .50 cal. with 100 gr. Pyrodex RS and a 348 Powerbelt Aerotip. Should be a great time. I'll keep you all posted. Good luck all.
Good luck with the elk cow hunt!! I shoot a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock with the same load and I think that would be an excellent selection. There is something about that .54 caliber (an bigger) that I really like.... Again good luck and we will all be looking for the details of the hunt, win or loose....
Old 08-14-2005, 08:39 AM

I would love to get a flintlock some day. I was looking at the Brown Bess for starters, but still just kicking around the idea. Anyway I'll keep you posted with the results of the hunt. Season is Sept. 10-18.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Spike

Cayugad,

Caplocks:
-Parker Hale .578 cal 3-Band Enfield; .575 cal 500 grain RCBS MCM-lubed Minie with 75 grains of FFFg

Flintlocks:
-Pedersoli Kentucky .50 cal flintlock; .490 cal round ball with .18 lubed pillow ticking patch and80 grains of FFFg

-Early Lancaster .54 flintlock; .530 cal roundball with .18 lubed pillow ticking patch and90 grains of FFFg.

Best Regards,

sky-Dogg

Quick Reply: Traditional Shooters.. favorite projectile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.