Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA quality?

Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Spike

Default CVA quality?

I'm interested in a couple of CVA models for my first M/L. I have read that the Spanish -made barrells may not be properly rated to withstand the pressures from even 100gr. loads no less a magnum load.

Anyone agree/disagree? I'm ready to buy.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Default RE: CVA quality?

i shoot a new frontier bear tooth mag ,cva made in spain.i have shot 150 gr of pyrodex pellets ,and 100 gr.of same ,kicks like a mule with 150 .brused my shoulder bad, but point is you can trust those spanish barrels,p.s. you should never need to shoot much over 100 gr. of powder.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Go ahead and buy one. Do you think a big gun company wants to kill it's customers?

I have an old CVA sidelock that has been though hell and back has had every part rusted sanded blued rusted again put up for 4 years with a broken ram rod in it cleaned and blued again and still shoots as good as the first time I ever shot the thing. Actually it shoots better than ever thanks to Cayugad telling me about using FFF powder in it instead of FF. Lock time is pretty much zero in that rifle.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

The idea of the Spanish made barrel issues by BPI is something you either buy into hook line and sinker, or you take with a grain of salt. There are people warning of testing standards that would not meet those produced by a magnum loaded projectile. The testing standard they refer to is the minimum standard necessary for the Spanish government to allow them to be shipped out of the country as it was explained once to me. Another side says, those test ratings would not equal the pressure produced by a modern magnum load. Well then again, perhaps the rating is not enough but is that the true strength of the barrel? What you have to decide is, will that influence my purchase.

CVA makes a fine muzzleloader. I own a couple of them. You are correct that only magnum loads should be attempted using pellets and not loose powder. Loose powder limits are 100 grains. 100 grains is more then enough in most cases to get the job done. Then as you read the manual you will note that there are restrictions on projectile weights. This related to sabots and conicals. If these restrictions bother you then I suggest you look at a Knight, Thompson Center, White, Savage, NEF, or one of the other brands that do not use BPI barrels. BPI barrels are also on Traditions, CVA, New Frontier, Winchester, and a number of other brands also.

Ask yourself, can I get the necessary performance out of a muzzleloader with 100 grains of loose powder? Probably. Would a company sell a product in the United States in this day and age with courts and law suit what they are, knowing that the product they sell would be a liability suit waiting to happen? Probably not.

Many of the modern inline rifles you see will shoot magnum loads. The trouble a lot of gun owners find is they shoot more accurate with less then full magnum loads. They also find that less then full magnum loads seem to handle their hunting needs just fine. So it boils down to who do you trust. I would guess hundreds of thousands of BPI barrels are out there on the market and being used. There are thousands of satisfied owners of BPI barrel products. CVA is one of the best selling cost wise rifle on the market.

If they fit into your muzzleloading budget and you are not worried about the barrel pressue issue, buy the rifle. If you're still concerned, save a little more and get something else....
Old 08-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

My Cabala's Hawken (made by the same people) is working like a champ. Have no fear.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 AM

I own a cva hunterbolt. I sent an e-mail to cva a while ago and they said
exactly what cayugad said almost word for word. It's only a government
standard. All barrels leaving spain must be proofed to 7000kpsi. It's their
standard, like our ISO standards. That's all. No worries.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kodiakemt414

My Cabala's Hawken (made by the same people) is working like a champ. Have no fear.
kodiakemt414.. I think your Cabela's Hawkins if made by Investarms out of Italy. They are the same people that make the Lyman Line of rifles like the Great Plains and the Trade Rifle. I could be wrong but I do not think they have BPI barrels. Actually your rifle is indeed a great shooting rifle. I have a Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber and it is a real shooter even though it is a rock lock.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:24 PM

I wouldn't worry about it at all, some people use a CVA and use a over max load and it blows and they suddenly say it's a bad gun and spread it around giving it a bad rap. I have a Optima and have shot alot of 130 grain shots out of mine without any problems and excellent accuracy.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:09 PM

I have a .45cal hunterbolt and just added a .50 kodiak and have never had a problem with my CVA rifles. Granted they don't have the fit and finish of a knight or T/C but they are a quaility gun for the price.I shot 150 grains of pyrodex in pellet form out of the .45 and it had no ill effect on the gun but it did on my shoulder. Will never do that again.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:33 AM

I have the Cva Optima I use 80 grains of loose triple seven. Its very acurate pushing Tc Shocwave of 250 grains. Probable shot a hundernd rounds through her. Never blew up. The Optima or any break open is so easy to clean. There safe, just watch what your doing loading. Seat bullet firmly against powder

Quick Reply: CVA quality?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.