Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Breech Plug Lube ? >

Breech Plug Lube ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug Lube ?

Old 07-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Breech Plug Lube ?

I'm shooting Triple Seven loose powder out of my T/C Black Diamond XR. I'm currently using T/C super lube on the breech plug threads. After a range session, the breech plug is pretty well frozen, it takes considerable force to loosen it. Does anybody have any tips to prevent this from happening? Different lube suggestions? Anyone use teflon tape on the threads?

thanks-
Paul
Old 07-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Breech Plug Lube ?

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

I'm shooting Triple Seven loose powder out of my T/C Black Diamond XR. I'm currently using T/C super lube on the breech plug threads. After a range session, the breech plug is pretty well frozen, it takes considerable force to loosen it. Does anybody have any tips to prevent this from happening? Different lube suggestions? Anyone use teflon tape on the threads?

thanks-
Paul
RIStrutStopper

I have the same rifle, and had the same experience as you the first time out. The difference with me was I cranked on that breech plug wrench that came with the rifle so hard, I broke it. Then the words really flew. Some easy tips for making sure that does not happen again.

I apply a good coating of CVA Slick Nipple and Breech Plug Grease. The Thompson Center stuff did not work for me. Also when your at the range shooting, every seven or ten shots, take your breech plug wrench and reach in there and twist that breech plug back and fourth. This will break the seizing that your experiencing. After I started following that routine, I have never had another problem with the rifle and breech plug seizing up.

Also get yourself a 8" socket extension and a 9/16th (or was it a 7/16th.. now I am not sure)deep socket. This will then allow you to reach in all the way from the back side of the breech and remove the nipple and breech plug with a simple socket set. This is especially helpful if you have a scope mounted on the rifle. Use your factory included breech plug wrench to twist the plug on the range or for an emergency in your possible bag.

That's a great shooting rifle you got there.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put a combination of bore butter and 3 in 1 oil on my breech plug and threads in the barrel. I've never had a problem getting one loose.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

TC's super lube is crap,use the Gorilla grease and you won't have any more problems.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replys. Cayugad, do you have a scope mounted on your rifle? I do, and I'm not so sure the wrench that came with the gun will help. I have the extension, but as you know, you have to disassemble the whole breech end to use it. I will keep an eye out for the CVA lube and the gorilla grease and pick some up. Bore butter and 3-in-1? That sounds pretty interesting too. Do you just apply the bore butter to the threads and then put a few drops of oil on it?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Cayugad, do you have a scope mounted on your rifle?
Yes I have a scope mounted on the rifle. a 1.5-4.5x32 mm Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn EER. It has worked excellent. Although I wish now I had put a 3-9x40 only because it would be nice on the range when doing range work.

I do, and I'm not so sure the wrench that came with the gun will help.
You can remove the scope with that wrench but it is a real PITA. The 8" extension works much better. Also they sell a Deluxe Breech Plug Wrench for the Black Diamond which is a tube wrench that fits in the back side of the rifle through the striker area. You can use that to take the nipple and plug out of the rifle.

I have the extension, but as you know, you have to disassemble the whole breech end to use it.
I realize that you have to take the striker out but that is not all so bad. It gives you a chance on the range to wipe it off. Also take some Q-tips with you. Get the kind with the plastic stick that holds the ends on, you can bend them and reach right into the spots you need to. Wipe out the 209 nipple with a wet Q-tip and the 209 primers will fit better. The more fowled the rifle becomes the more loose fitting they become. A simple Q-tip to wipe that area out and the area behind the breech plug will give you a faster striker hit.

I will keep an eye out for the CVA lube and the gorilla grease and pick some up.
I personally refuse to try the Gorilla Grease. I have heard others had good luck with it, but Thompson Center burned me once with their other breech plug grease. I am not taking any more chances. I use only the CVA Slick Nipple and Breech Plug Grease.

Do you just apply the bore butter to the threads and then put a few drops of oil on it?
Use the bore butter for what it was intended for... lubing conicals. Otherwise personally I keep that stuff away from my rifles. Use the CVA because that it what it is made to do, handle the high temperatures of the ignition. If others want to use the bore butter which is nothing more then wax, vegetable oil and a nice smell... so be it, their rifle.

You got a great shooting rifle there. Some excellent loads in mine are 250 grain Shockwaves with 100 grains T-7, 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB sabot with 100 grains Goex 2f, 460 grain No Excuses Conicals with 85 grains of T-7. The accuracy of those three loads are outstanding. You can push them harder butI personally see no reason to do so.

A good bore swab solution is a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol 91% and car windshield washer fluid (summer blend). You can also use this to clean the fowling off the rifle and bore of the rifle before you really have to use any expensive cleaner to get the job done. I have a long solid range rod that really works good for swabbing the bore of the rifle. A cleaning jag and a wet patch and I can get most of the fowling out easy..

Good luck with your rifle..
Old 07-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

This is the kind of accuracy the Shockwaves gives me. The other projectiles I listed will give me as good or even better accuracy. These are also my hunting loads. I use the scoped Black Diamond XR during our modern rifle season.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:36 AM

I have always used the Gorilla Grease. Never had a stuck breech plug. Plus it smells good!! Haha
Old 07-23-2005, 11:13 AM

I too use Gorilla Grease in conjunction with the T/C teflon tape. Have never had a problem. In fact, I don't even twist the breech plug during my shooting sessions.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Anyone use teflon tape on the threads?
I used T/C's pink teflon tape the last time I was at the range. It works really well IF applied correctly. I bought a couple more rolls of it and plan on using it from now on instead of the grease.

Quick Reply: Breech Plug Lube ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.