Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder?

Old 07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Powder?

What are the best powders out there now? What are the pros/cons of said powders? I was planning on using loose 777 out of my Omega.. but you guys have bea little leary w/ all this "crud ring" talk. So what do you use and why.. and how does it compare to other powders that you've tried?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Powder?

The Omega isa great rifle. If it were me, I would shoot Triple Se7en FFg. As for the crud ring, swab between shots and you should not have a problem. The poster, Triple Se7en told me once to swab with a bore brush and a wet patch. He said it would remove the crud ring better. It does. Just like he said it would.

Other good powders are Pinnacle, American Pioneer, and Pyrodex. Pinnacle and American Pioneer are both clean shooting powders. They leave very little fowling. They also seem to give good accuracy. Get them in the FFFg grade because they are a very course powder to begin with. Easy to shoot, swab and clean. With Pinnacle, I shot 12 XTP's without swabbing the barrel out of my Wolverine.

Goex, and Swiss are also good powders. They are dirty, messy, fowl, and stink and make lots of smoke.. I love them.. I shoot a lot of Goex 3f in the inlines. I am currently shooting Swiss 3f and it is more expensive but a nice shooting powder. It does not fowl as bad as the Goex. Also it has more power.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad:

Just curious as to why you recomment the Tripple Seven over American Pioneer? I am a Tripple Seven shooter but I recently bought some American Pioneer to try. Also, curious as to why you left Black Mag 3 off of your list?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckeye Mike

Cayugad:

Just curious as to why you recomment the Tripple Seven over American Pioneer? I am a Tripple Seven shooter but I recently bought some American Pioneer to try. Also, curious as to why you left Black Mag 3 off of your list?
The reason I did not endorse Black Mag3 as a powder is because I have never had the pleasure to shoot it. I would like to get my hands on some and test it in my rifles. The poster that have tried it, I respect a great deal and I respect their opinion of a product, but in good conscience I could not recommend it with out first hand knowledge. It just would not be fair.

American Pioneer Powder is another powder that I have shot when it was called Clean Shot. I really liked the stuff. I bought four pounds of it over six years ago and finally shot off the last of it just a few weeks ago. I have shot APP only once. I tried to buy some but I wanted the FFFg grade and all they had was FFg. They tried to tell me it was better but I explained my reasons for wanting the finer grade and refused to make the purchase. That does not mean that I do not like Clean Shot and would not suggest someone else try it if they want.

The Triple Se7en is one of those powders I really like to shoot but it can sure make you angry with its little quirks. The worst of course being the crud ring. The crud ring is controllable with good swabbing habits. Triple Se7en produces excellent and consistent shot after shot performance for me. I personally think it is a great powder. I am going to order some of that in FFFg grade also when I order my next case of powder in the very near future.

Also Triple Se7en is easy to get, easy to clean, and just seems a better choice for someone starting out. If they did not mind the mess I would actually recommend Goex 3f. That is a great powder in inline rifles. It shoots excellent, loads good, swabs good, and the accuracy from it is outstanding. The clean up, and stink is not something I would recommend, but it is something I put up with.

Pinnacle I will buy again without a doubt. I have a couple rifles that really shot well with the powder and the clean up is very easy. Someone mentioned it is nothing but Goex American Pioneer Powder. This might be the case. I sent Goex an email asking them about it but have not received an answer... Either way, I like shooting it.