Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Company >

Traditions Company

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Company

Old 06-19-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Traditions Company

I was at the Sporting goods store and I saw a Traditions Pursuit . I really liked its nice weight and balance. I was just wondering if the barrel was made in Spain like a CVA or is it made in usa?Is traditions a spinoff of Thompson Center firearms??
Thanks Okie48
Old 06-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditions Company

Yes, Traditions have their barrels made in Spain. Is it a spin off? Yes, so are many others out there. Thompson Center's design of the Omega caught on real fast and all the other gun makes are cashing in on it as well. The older model Pursuits had some trigger problems but from a post I read recently, they have corrected that. You might want to make sure that rifle has a good clean trigger that does not break hard. Other then that I have heard they are good shooting rifles and balance well.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

After you buy one, open the rifle box without tearing it. Do not clean the rifle when youremove it from the box Nowuse a few "spent", used209 primers on the breechplug for protection purposes-only when you test the trigger. If the trigger is heavy, take the rifle back for a refund, credit or exchange. If it's an exchange, have the sales clerk open the box & test the trigger right there. Not satisfied?... buy a T/C or Knight. If you find a good Pursuit, keep your loose powder loads at 100 max... pellets at 120 max.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Why not just bring the spent primers to the store and try the gun there?
Old 06-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Unless you got a real cooperative store, most of them frown on you putting anything like a spent cap or primer in or on their rifle and testing the trigger right there. On the old sidelocks we used to put a wad of cloth over the nipple and test the hammer and trigger and they didn't even like that. You will also see signs in some of the stores asking you not todry fire their weapons. If the store allows it, go for it.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

A magazine writer I know was sent a 2005 model a week or two ago. The trigger issues supposedly have been resolved & the new ones are between 3-4 lb pulls. You can call Traditions by phone or email them to find outwhat serial numbers begin with the 2005 models. Stores should bestoring all2005s by September... I would think... if not ... maybe they're already in the mega sports stores.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:42 PM

I emailed the traditions company.They said that the earlier models did have a hard trigger. He said that they have resolved that problem. I am thinking of getting one I know they are cheap Spanish barrels and all. However they look and feel good. I wont ever use more than 90 grains of powder in one. I just cant afford a Knight or a TC. I have a wife and kids to think of. They and CVA make a nice lookin rifle, and for about 200 dollars.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM

You can get a lower end Knight or TC for the price of the Traditions.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Inspection of many Traditions and CVA guns will clearly show the Spanish House of Eibar definitive black powder proof mark. Likely you will also see the ammunition inspection proof mark as well. A pressure stamping on the barrel, typically 700KP/CM2, will follow this. That pressure is expressed in "kiloponds / cm2." The equivalent in PSI is approx. 9957 PSI.
It is well documented that 150 grain Pyrodex pellet loads pushing 250 to 300 grain saboted projectiles can exceed 2.5 X that pressure, often upwards of 25,000 - 27,000 PSI.
These are common loads, not "unusual" loads. Not just the original Pyrodex patent, but many readily available independent sources such as Lyman's.

They are not made to be Pushed. I would keep it to 85-95grs of BP.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruben

You can get a lower end Knight or TC for the price of the Traditions.
That's good advice Ruben....

Lower end in price, but there is not lower end in quality when talking Thompson Center or Knight in my opinion. That was one reason I bought my Thompson Center Black Diamond XR. I remember when they first came out they were all in the high $300+ range. One day, Bass Pro had them on sale for $229.00 (later they even went as low as $199.00 I believe) and since I always wanted one, I bought it. This was then conisdered a lower end Thompson Center but the quality is there for sure. It will shoot with any rifle out there on the ranges.

Quick Reply: Traditions Company

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.