Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC Wildcat Muzzleloader >

TC Wildcat Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Wildcat Muzzleloader

Old 06-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default TC Wildcat Muzzleloader

What do you folks think about the TC Wildcat?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: TC Wildcat Muzzleloader

Never seen one; what does it look like???
Old 06-12-2005, 05:30 PM

It's basically a black diamond. I think it uses a shorter barrel than the 26" standard.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a short-barrel Black Diamond without the 209 ignition system.... that's the Wildcat.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

OK, thanks for the info!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

If it is any help, I have a Thompson Center Black Diamond XR with the longer barrel of course. As long as you shoot loose powder those #11 caps will fire the charge off just fine. Also the Black Diamond is a great shooting rifle. It will shoot sabots as well as conicals. At least mine will. What many forget is the Black Diamond was considered at one time the best Thompson Center inline rifle for many years. Then along came the Omega with the different style breech and the Black Diamond has kind of went its own direction.

I have a Knight Wolverine with the short 22" barrel, so if barrel length is causing you concern, don't let it bother you. It is a great shooting rifle also.....
Old 06-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

thanks cayugad! I appreciate the info. That answers most of my concerns. I am still wondering about in a hunting situation, I would like my cap on the nipp;e, ready to go. With the open striker, I am a little concerned that the cap would fall off.

I am thinking about using the 209 primer, are you thinking I should use the # 11?

Also, another question while I am taking your time. I read on this forum, that one of the best things to clean between shots is a mixture of Windex and Alchol or Windex & Vinegar. What do you think?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually the #11 caps are more water proof then you might think. My Wolverine II made by Knight is still a #11 ignition and until this little rifle fails, I have no intention of changing to anything else. I load loose powder and it goes off every time. The Black Diamond XR I have is a 209 ignition. It also as you mentioned does have an open breech. You can get breech covers if you're worried about moisture. The 209 primers will give you a lot more fire into the breech and your ignition will be more secure. Otherwise I would not have a problem hunting with my Black Diamond XR with a #11 or a musket cap, although the musket cap does seem to fall off a lot.

Between shot swabbing is necessary depending on the projectile you shoot. I swab with a combination of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid and it works great for me. If I shoot the 460 grain No Excuses Conicals I only have to swab about every 7th shot. If I shoot the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB's I have shot five of them and then swabbed to make sure the accuracy would not suffer. About the only projectiles I have to swab every shot are the Barnes Expanders 250 grain which are excellent shooting, and to be fair, the 250 grain Shockwaves. I have loaded three of them without swabbing but it was ruff. A quick swab and they load a lot nicer.

This was done with my scoped Black Diamond XR at 100 yards off a shooting stick set. I did not swab at all during this. The 460 grain No Excuses shoot real good out of my rifle but that does not mean the same would be true of every other Black Diamond out there...
Old 06-14-2005, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

ok, thanks cayugad!!!

I really appreciate your advice!!!