Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 OK guys answer this for me. >

OK guys answer this for me.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK guys answer this for me.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default OK guys answer this for me.

I have been shooting at a sandpit lately that is bordered on a side by a swamp. (oops I meant wetland) This is bug season up here in NH and with the wet spring we are having they are out in force so I have been setting up in the middle of the pit away from the trees and water and the problem isn't that bad until I shoot 777.

My normal experience shooting during bug season is that once you start shoot the black flies and mesquitos tend to back off and some times leave all together.

Today for the second time in a week I noticed not only did the shooting not scare them away it attracted them by the score. I got out of my truck ate my lunch and was listening to the radio while I set up. (about 20 minutes) and did not see any black flies. After my first few shots I was getting swarmed and the funny thing was if I walked away from the rifle they did not follow me.

I parked in the same spot friday and shot bp and didn't see a single bug either however the winds were about 20mph so I would see few anyway.

Am I nuts or are the biting insects attracted to 777?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: OK guys answer this for me.

Everyone else seems to like the powder... why not the black flys? Just kidding. I do not think it has anything to do with the powder your shooting. It might have more to do with location, wind conditions, who knows. We are blessed with the little buggers here too. Just wear some bug spray with deet and the black flys will leave you alone. Although I will do this.. the next time I shoot I will make a note to watch and see if the black flys come around when shooting Triple Se7en. They sure scatter when you are shooting Goex...

Just have fun shooting.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

It's just weird I tell ya they were crawling all over the scope and everything. I am wondering if on of the by products of shooting 777 is CO2. I know most biting insects are attracted to you because of your breathing.

Last tuesday at the range I was dealing with them fine shooting Goex fff but when I switched to 777 same results almost couldn't even shoot.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Now I have to get out and test your theory. So far with the cold weather we have been having they are not too bad. I was out dropping some trees today in the woods and until the sun came out finally in the afternoon they were not even around at all. Of course they seem to hate chainsaws which is fine with me.

Pittsburghunter.. I will give this an honest test. I will shoot Triple Se7en and make note. Then switch over to Goex (that will scare them off) and see if the powder makes a difference. I am going to guess that since T-7 does not smoke so much the flys are around and noticed. Unlike when Goex is being shot.. then the smoke cloud acts like a bug fogger.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I notice even smokeless powder will scare them off for the most part. With the centerfire rifles I always thought it was the pecussion of the shot that ran them off hurting their senses or something. I never noticed this with Pyrodex either. I've noticed that one or two clips though the SKS seems to quiet down the bugs too.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Perhaps the bugs like the 777 crud ring?

Old 05-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

That makes the most sense to me. The black flies are a pest and so is the 777 crud ring. Apparently like things like each other. Maybe it is the sugar base they like???
Old 05-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

If I am right I can see the new ad a couple years from now "New and improved Triple Seven with DEET". LOL!!!!!!!!

Just one of those things you have to ask I guess I was hoping someone else had noticed this. I have shot 77 for about 4 years but hardly ever in the spring.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:41 AM

What a strange observation...what happens if you pile up a little 777 and 100 yds away pile up a little Goex - burn both and watch what the bugs do.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM

it could have been the weather conditions that day or a new cleaning substance or new powder u might have tryed. it might have just been that they like your bp rifle alot.

Quick Reply: OK guys answer this for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.