Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I want to get a BP rifle... >

I want to get a BP rifle...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I want to get a BP rifle...

Old 05-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Default I want to get a BP rifle...

I would like to purchase a Black Powder rifle. I have no experience with BP and would like some sugestions on whats a good gun and just some tips for shooting, cleaning, ect. I would like to spend less than 300 dollars. I would be looking for a modern type of rifle.

Thanks,
Levi
Old 05-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I want to get a BP rifle...

First off is the $300.00 supposed to include the gear to go with the rifle to shoot it? What are your state regulations for scopes, sabots, ignition systems? Do you have a preference as to the style of action the rifle has? Are any manufacturer's models more appealing to you?

Normally I suggest you look over some of the on line stores and view their rifles. Any that catch your fancy then go to the gun makers web site and look them over. Then read some of the posts on the forum reference the rifle that catches your fancy. There are a lot of different rifles out there for sale.

Some of the more reasonable rifle makers out there are CVA, Traditions, MDM, Beartooth, NEF, and even some of the more known makers have rifles on special from time to time. Also be sure and check the gun auction sites. There are many new in the box rifles there and can be purchased reasonable...

If you find one you like we would be more then glad to give an opinion of the rifle or tell you what we can about them. You might also want to look into Knight and Thompson Center Arms rifles. Excellent quality....

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:30 PM

Are the knight DISC any good? I live in Illinois as far as regs go.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The Disc rifles I have read are great shooters. I personally have a Wolverine II which is an outstanding sabot shooting rifle...

Since you can use a scope, the Disc is good as are many of the Thompson Center rifles. Also do not overlook the NEF Sidekick.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Typical Buck

I agree that you should look at the NEF or the H&R as they are basically the same rifle. I think one requires firearm rules as it has interchangeable barrels with cartridge barrels. If you are familiar with a single barrel shotgun you should really like these. I got a similar gun for my brother in law as he was an old Illinois rabbit hunter. I got the Traditions Pursuit but due to a terrible trigger I would not recommend the Traditions. It also has a spanish barrel which some believe is not as strong or safe as the american steel barrels in the NEF and H&R. I think these are going to be your best bet dollar for dollar if you want to stay on the low cost side of the game.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Here's the setup for you, Smitty: get a CVA Buckhorn or leftover Staghorn in .50cal... get a decent scope (my choice was Bushnell Trophy 1.5x4, but I wish I'd gotten the Leupold 2x7 for another 90 bucks), and go... go hunting. You'll come in under 300, and you'll be set.

I use mine during BP- and regular gun season.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:53 AM

i have a cva optima, its a break action, it has a 209 ignition, 1:28 inch twist, 50 caliber. its still in the original box, i have never shot it. the only reason i dont want it is i got into bowhunting and i want a new bow. if ur interested email me. my emial is [email protected]

thank you, caleb
Old 05-14-2005, 07:46 AM

I got a TC Black Diamond, it's less than your $300 budget. TC has an excellent reputation for supporting what they sell.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait until August! By then, new models will have arrived & store sales will be happening. Shop for T/C or Knights. Best bang for your bucks.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:43 AM

Check your local walmart, they will usually carry a thompson center black diamond that comes wiyh pyrodex, sabots, cleaning supplies, and instruction video. Plus tc bd is already laser sighted in for open sights and is a good all around smoke poll.

Quick Reply: I want to get a BP rifle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.