Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A cheap alterative to powerbelts? >

A cheap alterative to powerbelts?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A cheap alterative to powerbelts?

Old 05-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A cheap alterative to powerbelts?

LOL!! I'm gonna wait for a report on them before I buy any myself.

The powerbelts seem to shoot good in everything in the medium twist range that sabots just can't cover. They also shoot good in fast twist guns in the heavy weights. My Scout which appears to have a real fast twist hates powerbelts but loves rounds like the shockwave. The Norinco carbine likes light full size bullets. The 300g Powerbelt shot great in that rifle as did the REAL. The Powerbelt shot better that the REAL did though. If I try to load a sabot in the Norinco it will key hole the target.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

No... I have not tried the Sabertooths. I'm too cheap to pay 60 cents per shot anymore. Lately, I've been using roundballs in bulk boxes of 100 - Hornady PA conicals in bulk boxes of 50 and Hornady XTPs in bulk boxes of 100. My most expensive load counting the bulk plastic sabots I buy individually is around 35 cents per shot.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Try Hornady's 385gr Great Plains bullets. They're a lot less than powerbelts & load easily, once you get it in the muzzle. Had a good day at the range with them a couple weeks ago, and hope to try again this weekend. Got a box of 20 at Dick's the other day for five bucks. They're accurate, and make a great big hole.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:55 AM
BS

I have shot several sizes and weights of powerbelts, and like the GreatPlains better. The secret to getting good groups with them is when I started using the MMP sub-base under them, my groups went fron 3" to 5/8" at 50yds, using 100grains of FF and FFF.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is an MMP sub base and where do you get them? Also, what powder were you using? 777, pyordex?

Also, have you tried these bullets on elk?

thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 09:25 AM
BS

txhunter58, the powder is Goex,[real black powder] but use what ever shoots best in your gun.

I have not used these on elk, yet! but would like too very much!

I don't like the hollow point lead bullets, you get more than enough expansion with a lead solid point, and hopefully better penetration with the solids.

I had tried the Great Plains 50 x 410s years ago, just for the facts stated above, but did not get them to group worth a darn. Then I read about someone useing these sub-base wads with them., and I am a believer in there accuracy.

Bottom picture is a sub-base.

The MMP sub-bases can be bought anywhere that sell sabots, or do a search and you will find them.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Cabela's sells sub bases. I personally have never tried them but will give them a try if I come across them or place an order somewhere that has them... It does kind of get my goat that they need almost $7.00 for 50 little pieces of plastic.... but if they work and you want them, then you buy them.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:44 AM

BS - I have been using these for about a year, and took an elk with the 410 Great Plains with a sub base between it and 120 grains of T7 during the 2004 season. It worked very well - great penetration with some controlled expansion. My groups with this heavy recoiling load were running about 2" to 3" at 100 yards - looks like yours shoot a little better . . . .
Old 05-15-2005, 11:55 AM
BS

Yea, 7 bucks and you don't even get any bullets with them! But they do seem to work.

Roskoe, glad to hear of your good fortune! Are you from Meeker?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like with the Great plains bullets and the base, that brings the price of the combo up to 50 cents per. Still kind of high, but may be worth exploring.

Quick Reply: A cheap alterative to powerbelts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.