Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Breech Plug Questions

Old 01-13-2016, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
You were told wrong.

What i do to test breech plugs is leave them outside overnight in temperatures -10 degrees or colder. All of these breech plugs will fire instantaneously, the next morning.

What in the world does that mean? Were you typing whilst sitting horizontally?
I seem to remember these tests. Im not sure if vertical or horizontal would alter the outcome of those tests. I doubt it would. Holding it all night vs leaving it sit alone would likely have no effect either.

I doubt the gun would care either way.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-13-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The country's East/Northeast is where 80% of muzzleloader shooters partake
The difference between it and others like Pyrodex and 777, is that it can fully recover 100% and not bear any after-effects in velocity and performance.
I would like to see the source of this data. Got a link?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 AM
JW
Super Moderator

And so it be done. This was moved to Reference Forum with a 2 month Re-direct link left on the main black powder page.

JW
Old 01-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I would like to see the source of this data. Got a link?
The link is one of those blackpowder guru writeups. What exact month and year I don't recollect. It's they that do the territorial graphs with ML buyer and hunting licenses, not I.

Concerning Blackhorn, get it wet and see if it fires. Wait, I already mentioned what occurs.

Lastly, your climate in Dakota does not represent the rest of the country. Oh wait, I said that before too.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Ron,
Any idea how many shots your homemade vent liners are good for?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
......But if you want to hold the gun(s) all day long, knock yourself out. Wouldn't shock me if you did.
Where that comment came from, i don't have a clue. What i have done these past years to test breech plugs is leave loaded rifles out in sub zero weather over night, while i slept in a warm bed, inside our bedroom.

This thread started out sharing questions and answers. You joined in posting something you had no direct knowledge of. Your post was nothing more than gossip. Now you are suggesting i would stand somewhere holding a rifle in sub zero weather all day long?? You are suggesting you know what i would do, and implying what i would do, is not so very intelligent. This i believe is a personal attack. It is my understanding this is a violation of rule # 12.

You are going on about how tests done in South Dakota aren't relevant to the rest of the country, because of our humidity? If the humidity in the East is so important , as to how nonhygroscopic Blackhorn ignites, then the humidity would be death for black powder, and all the other black powder substitutes, would it not?? If what you write makes any sense at all, it is a wonder any of the rifles in the East worked, prior to the use of smokeless powder. All the fellas that currently shoot flintlocks in the East are evidently imagining ignition.

Please refrain from posting gossip in an informative thread such as this, and please refrain from implying i am stoopid, and would stand holding a rifle all day in freezing weather. This is a violation of rule 12.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
Ron,
Any idea how many shots your homemade vent liners are good for?
Well i used to think they were good for about 200 shots or so. Here lately i have changed how i make them, and the flash holes are now longer than what i used to make them. Currently i am using a vent liner that has over 200 shots through it, and the flash hole has eroded to only 0.030", after being made with a # 70 drill, which is 0.028". This vent liner could last 400 shots?

From what i have read, if you are looking for longevity, your best bet is the Lehigh vent liner.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Concerning Blackhorn, get it wet and see if it fires. Wait, I already mentioned what occurs.
I believe ive read a test were BH209 was soaked in water then dried. It was then weighed and the new weight was less than before. I also seem to remember the fps changed but im unable to find a link to that test.

Your claim that it had no effect on velocity is what i would like to see. Not whether it "occurred" as in simply ignited. That would be why i used BOLD text in my quote.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-14-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what i have read, if you are looking for longevity, your best bet is the Lehigh vent liner.
Ive had good luck with the Lehigh vents but if you plan on a steady diet of heavy loads, a tungsten carbide bushing is superior. They are very pricey (around $31) and you will need a $1 "lock ring" to hold them in the plug.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-14-2016 at 09:23 AM.