Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Protecting Your Gun In The Rain

Old 12-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Protecting Your Gun In The Rain

Here's a useful tip for keeping your gun dry in a driving rain.

Grab some of those free umbrella bags many stores have on a rack at their door.

I keep several in my pack - rolled up and secured with rubber bands.

Two will cover a gun perfectly. Cut them to fit - one put on at the muzzle end and a second one cut off to overlap the first one by a few inches. After putting them on the gun, I secure the rear one with a rubber band around the wrist of the stock. It takes only a second to slip the front one from the barrel.

Last edited by Semisane; 12-23-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Um, don't think 'ol Davey Crockett used those.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 AM
Spike

Thanks for the idea. Here is Va we get a few weeks of really humid weather, and being the stubborn luddite I am, we don't have electricity based air conditioning (trees do that for us). So my question is, what approach you'd take to keeping a flintlock dry and rust free. I've been hunting with an inline for quite a few years and have some limited experience with a flintlock, but I'd like to get into flintlock hunting again. I loved it when I lived in PA.